Chapter 8

Gratefully locating Keith wasn't a difficult task. He had only stepped out into the outdoor area. Finding him smoking was shocking though.

"I didn't know you smoked." Attempting to keep my words soft because I was uncertain on what his reaction was going to be. I remain close to the door pausing in my pursuit of him.

"Not usually." We lapse into silence. "Let's cut the bullshit. I'm going to take a guess here. You show up and fall into Dimitri's arms. Not that I can blame you. He's Dimitri Brandt after all. What I can't figure out is what is he doing here?"

I take a slight step towards him, "Keith you have it all wrong. Remember when I told you I had scored tickets to the show tomorrow?" Once he nods his head in understanding I continue. "You see they came directly from Dimitri." At my statement I now have his full attention the cigaret forgotten. "Dimitri and I go way back. Even before Steel Wolf was signed. He's been one of my best friends for years."

"The guy with the busy work schedule. The one you told me about that first night we started texting."

Shrugging my shoulders I confirm his guess, "one in the same."

With aggravation he runs his fingers though his hair. "Wow. I don't know what to say. All this time I thought he was just some regular guy, but to find out he's Dimitri fucking Brandt from Steel Wolf not at all what I was expecting."

"Yeah. It's pretty surreal. Even for me still." I move closer to him and rest my back against the railing. "I sometimes still have a hard time seeing the boy I used to know in the man he's become. But then he will say or do something and I'm reminded of who he is at his core."

Keith shakes his head, "Alex has to be bouncing off the walls having Steel Wolf at her party."

"I imagine she is." He places his hand on top of mine and I hear Dimitri's words ringing in my head. I fight the urge to pull away. "She wasn't the only one surprised to see him here today. When we had spoken yesterday he still wasn't sure if they would make it in tonight or tomorrow morning."

"Are you the reason for the added concert in Chicago?"

"Most likely. Every time we talked on the phone he was sounding more and more depressed. And kept hinting at he needed to see me. Then next thing I knew he was informing me of the show this weekend."

"I see." Keith removes his hand from mine. "How am I suppose to compete with him?"

"Didn't realize there was a competition going on? Thought we were just having fun." Now he really has me confused. This entire affair was based on the fact we weren't seeking something permanent. Why do I feel like the guy in this situation?

"I thought so to, but then I got to know you." He pauses and lights another cigarette, "and I don't know. Made me curious to see what could happen."

"I enjoyed spending time with you to Keith. Never doubt that," and now for me to hurt him. "Do you believe in soulmates?"

"What do you mean?" He turns to face me and I push away from the railing to give him my full attention.

"I mean that one person you have to have in your life. Even if they only remain a friend. That one person if you don't hear from them you feel broken and lost. The one person you know that no matter what life throws at you they will always have your back. The person who continues to come in and out of your life." The next sentence to leave my mouth shocks the shit out of me. "The one person you continue to love even after they break your heart into a million pieces. And you try to move on from them, but since everyone your with isn't them none of those relationships work. But as much as it kills you your happy for them when they are happy even if it isn't with you."