Chapter 53

I awaken to the sound of beeping and the smell of bleach and antiseptic. When I go to open my eyes the blinding light sends a shooting pain through my head forcing me to shut them again. At first my mind is a bit foggy, but soon clarity ensues and I remember the previous events. I had been attacked, but Dimitri and Tray rescued me.

Not wanting to remain in the darkness any longer I try once again to open my eyes, but slower this time hoping to adjust to the lights. My plan seems to work because I 'm not forced to close them right way. Next plan of action is to get them to focus on where I'm at.

Based on the smells and the fact I was laying on a hospital bed I'm going to make the wild guess I'm in the hospital. There is a weight on my left hand and I glace down to see a hand holding mine. I follow the path from the hand to an arm to Dimitri. He is sitting at the side of the bed in one of those extremely uncomfortable hospital chairs with his head resting on the bed and his eyes are closed. After seeing his distraught last night I'm not at all shocked to see him here. In fact I would have been more shocked if he wasn't. 

Upon further inspection of the rather large room for a hospital I find I'm the only patient. The normal hospital machines surround me. There is a couch and a recliner along the side with a large window, which has the blinds closed. More than likely to keep all the unwanted attention out. Tray and Mason are on the couch while Lucan claimed the recliner. They all have their eyes closed. Ryder and Aubree seem to be missing. There is a large screen TV on the wall across from the bed, but it is turned off. 

As I'm debating on if I should wake Dimitri or not Aubree and Ryder walk in with coffee. Neither one notice that I'm awake since they are too busy making eyes at each other. On closer inspection I see they are holding hands. What? How long have I been out. Once they are further into the room they separate to different sides of the room. Guess they don't want the others to know that something is brewing between them. 

"Wake up slackers. We brought coffee." Ryder sings kicking Mason and Tray on their foot. Both sit up cussing out Ryder. His back is to me blocking the guys from seeing me. 

"Dude shut up before you wake Skylar." Dimitri commands stretching his stiff muscles. 

"Thought that was what we wanted," Ryder mutters passing out coffee.

"Guess it's a good thing she's already awake," I rasp causing everyone to jump to their feet and surround the bed. "Water," I croak.

"Of course," Dimitri says softly reaching for a cup and pouring some water in it. He also adds a straw and won't let me hold it myself. Instead he holds the cup while I take a drink. When I have my fill he places the cup on the table and bushes my hair from my face.

"How are you feeling," Tray asks taking my right hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. I can see the unsettledness swimming in his eyes.  

"Okay. I guess," I state shrugging wanting to reassure them I was okay, but all I get is another shooting pain through my head. I glance around the room into all their worried and concerned eyes that surround me. "How long have I been out of it?" I ask glancing at the blinds and not seeing any light glowing from behind them.

"Only for a couple of hours," Dimitri answers. I nod my head, but then think better of it when my head start to spin and I feel nauseous.

"Why does my head hurt so much?" I cry fighting back tears from the pain.  

"Baby you have a minor concussion," Dimitri explains running cool fingers along my jaw. 

Makes sense since my head was slammed into a brick wall twice. I take inventory of the rest of my body and only discover I'm slightly sore and nothing more. I was lucky this could have been so much worse than what it was.