⚔️ Mukuro Ikusaba x Reader ; Saying Goodbye ⚔️

Requested by OmegaYizz !

The bullet from the gun hit the center of the target just about half a mile away. Mukuro lowered her arms, smiling a bit.

"Nice job, Ikusaba—we'll go for another round later on."

The growing soldier nodded, placing the gun she held back in the rack. As she turned, she found her friend heading over to her, just a bit sweaty from combat training.

"Hey, you." (Name) smiled, running a hand through his hair. "Heard you shot a long one today."

She nodded, now having her hands behind her back. "I did. Even so, I still have to train more. I can't afford to get killed in battle."

"Spoken like a true soldier," he agreed, grinning.

(Name) had a more carefree personality, while Mukuro was more on the meek side when it came to socializing. Despite all this, they were very close—and very capable soldiers.

"Right..." She fidgeted a bit, having something on her mind.

He stared at her, confused. "You nervous about something? I've never seen you fidget."

Mukuro sighed. finally caving in. "I received this in my dorm this morning." She pulled out an envelope with a very familiar symbol on it.

(Name) took it from her hand and blinked a few times. "Hope's Peak Academy...?"

"They have selected me to attend as the Ultimate Soldier," she told him.

"Well, that's no surprise—you're practically the best one here!"

"You are just as capable as I am," she countered, her tone calm and stoic. It seemed like this news hadn't affected her at all, but truly, she felt differently.

"I mean..." He frowned a bit. "Are you gonna go?"

"I must," Mukuro responded a little too quickly.

"Good for you," (Name) said, a hint of smile on his face again. "I'd hate to keep you here when a school like this is scouting you to be their student."

She knew just as well that wasn't the reason she had to leave. And if she was being honest, it hurt her just a little to lie to him.

About everything.

And so, she only said,  "Thank you. I appreciate it."

"But hey... you won't forget me, right?"

Mukuro looked up at him, seeing his hopeful yet cheery facial expression. "Of course I won't forget you. After all this training together, I could never."

"Good." (Name) placed a hand on her shoulder, soon swinging his entire arm around both shoulders. "Now, you tell me when you have to leave and I'll be there to send you off."

He didn't expect that day to be so soon.

Just the next week later, he found Mukuro packing some things to leave for Hope's Peak.

"What? You're leaving already?" (Name) asked, a small frown on his face.

"I was going to tell you as soon as I finished packing my things," she told him. "Sorry."

As Mukuro was fumbling with her things, something dropped from her small pack in her hands. (Name) picked it up, a confused look on his face.

"Is this... foundation? Since when do you ever use makeup?"

With a quick movement, she snatched it from his hand. "It's for my sister. She left it with me last time she came to visit."

"Oh, that Enoshima girl, right? Man, she's hot." After earning an unamused glare from the soldier, he put his hands up in defense. "Sorry, sorry—so are you."

Mukuro blinked a few times, a small blush creeping up her cheeks. "What?"

"I mean, you're super badass. The way you handle yourself as a soldier, your skills... watching you work? Now that's real fucking breathtaking. Sure, big boobs are super nice on a girl, but when one can defend herself? That's awesome."

She was left speechless at his words, her blush deepening.

"Ah, (Name)... I didn't know you felt that way."

"H- Huh?" he stammered. "Listen, let's just... pretend I never said that."

"Then please help me get my things together. I'm afraid I must leave tonight."

"So, am I gonna have to come see you or can you come visit?" he asked, his grin and carefree attitude returning. "You're practically my best friend—it's not like I'm never gonna see you again."

Mukuro didn't like the circumstances he was putting her through—true, he had absolutely no idea what she had planned, or what she was a part of, but it actually upset her that despite him wanting to see her so much, she couldn't.

And despite not being very good at showing it, she wanted to just as much as he did.

"I'm sure I will be able to return for some time," she smiled just a bit, enough to fib. "I will send you a letter."

"Then let's get you out of here, yeah?" (Name) placed a hand on her back, leading her out the door.

As the two walked down the long hallway, Mukuro couldn't help the negative thoughts running through her head. This is going to hurt him. He's never going to look at me the same again.

And then, once they reached the entrance door, she wrapped her arms around him.

He was surprised, as she rarely ever did this—he couldn't remember a time when she did. "Are you sure you wanna go?"

That wasn't the reason why, she told herself. But she knew she couldn't tell him anything more.

"I must. But... thank you for everything, (Name)."

"Hey, you sound like this is your death sentence," he said jokingly. "Don't worry, I'll see you sooner than you think."

Mukuro didn't say anything in response to that—her only words were, "Goodbye, (Name)."

And then she walked away. His eyes were on her the entire time, completely confused at her sudden changes in attitude and tone.

Although it wasn't exactly the last time they'd see each other, it'd be one of the last. Neither of them were aware of that.

With closed eyes, Mukuro thought to herself something she should've told him before she was too far gone. I love you, (Name). More than you know.

A/N: Can I, for the love of god, stop making these things so sad in the end—

But I still hoped it was okay. : )

~dxganronpa