🔹 Nagito Komaeda x Toko Fukawa ; Figuring Him Out 🔹

Requested by DiamandFeniken !

Toko bit her fingernails as she stared straight ahead. Byakuya stood there, of course, but that wasn't who she was staring at for once.

Just behind him was Nagito Komaeda, who was talking to Hajime and Makoto. The three were laughing at something Makoto had said.

She had no idea why Class 78 had joined their upperclassmen, but nevertheless, she was slowly beginning to be grateful for it. At first, she was annoyed because she didn't feel like socializing—she had barely been talking to the people in her own class, and she wouldn't start with Class 77.

But seeing the students there, Nagito had caught her attention the most. There was something about him that she couldn't shake off—his calm, happy demeanor was just too familiar to her.

It was like a character she had written in a book—although appearing like just an ordinary guy, he had almost a sadistic side that no one knew about until it was too late. He still married the love of his life, though.

It was too much of a coincidence to not be true.

"Uh, Toko?"

Makoto's voice had shaken her out of her thoughts, and her face flushed as she realized Hajime and Nagito were standing there as well.

"You were kinda staring, so I figured we'd come by and say hello," Nagito told her with a charming smile, waving his hand a bit.

No one is that nice, she told herself. Or charming, for the matter—except Master, of course.

"Hey, Hajime!" someone called out. He turned his head to see Chiaki waving him over, Sonia and Mikan there too.

"I'll be back," he told the three as he made his way over to the girls.

Toko gave him a look as he walked away—i- is he... what a pervert.

Then Makoto was called over by Byakuya. "Makoto,
come and pick this up—it's by the dust and I can't get my suit dirty."

Kyoko, who stood next to him, still had an emotionless expression—but it was obvious in her eyes that what he just said was absolute bullshit.

Either way, Toko couldn't control the grin on her face as she made slight eye contact with Byakuya. The progeny only turned away, Makoto giving a slightly shameful wave to the two as he made his way over to them.

And that left Nagito and Toko alone.

"Say, why don't we go for a walk?" he suggested, still having that same smile and breaking her of her fantasies.

"A- A w- walk?" she stuttered, crossing her arms over her chest and looking away. "Why d- do you want t- to?"

"Well, we're both here on this trip. I think it's a great way to get to know each other."

She didn't know how, but after a few more charming words, Toko found herself walking out of the classroom with Nagito and into the halls.

She avoided looking at him as the two walked in silence. It took a few minutes, but Nagito was the first to initiate a conversation.

"So, what's got you all distant... Toko, right?"

"I- I'm not d- distant," she snapped back. Exaggeration, but he doesn't need to know that.

"I dunno, from the looks of it, you don't even talk to Makoto much and he's in your class. I promise I'm not a bad guy."

Now the literary writer took this opportunity to corner him—she knew there was something off about this guy but with the way he was acting, she was worried she might actually be wrong about him.

"Wh- What's your g- game?"

Nagito looked at her in confusion. "Game?"

"I k- know you've got s- something up y- your sleeve..." Toko stuttered out. Although her timid tone of voice, her expression was bold and accusing. "S- So just s- spit it out a- already!"

He blinked, staring at her for a few seconds. He then laughed a bit, putting his hands on his hips. "Something up my sleeve? Trust me, the only thing up my sleeve is my arm."

Toko scowled, hating how he still managed to keep up his charade. It wasn't too long but she could see right through him—she could feel it.

And seeing her expression, unchanging and still holding that accusing look in her eyes, Nagito sighed and put a hand on the side of his head. "Well, if you're going to look at me like that... I guess I might as well fess up."

Her eyes widened at hearing his words. "Wh- What...?"

With one swift move of his hand, that charming smile was now replaced with a sinister smirk. "Uniting with the underclassmen brings hope to us all! So I have no reason to take... drastic measures to keep hope thriving."

So I was right—he is crazy!

"D- Drastic measures? J- Just what were y- you planning on d- doing?" Toko asked, just a small bit of fear clouding her brain.

"Nothing you need to worry about," he answered, stepping toward her.

Nagito still had that smirk on his face as he lifted her chin with his finger, forcing her to look up at him. "I don't think anyone needs to know about this little conversation, yeah?"

Not like they'd believe me if I told them, anyway...

So she complied, smirking a bit herself. "R- Right. Just b- between us."

"Good." He pulled away, his personality doing a whole 180. He smiled charmingly again, hands on his hips. "Now, how about we get back to the others? I'm sure Hajime and Makoto are wondering where we are."

Toko couldn't help but feel attracted to him just a bit. Seeing how she was right and how she was right to compare him to the man in the book she wrote, it made the story seem all the more real.

Romance with a little spice? She was a sucker for those, after all.

She had figured out who Nagito Komaeda truly was—just another hope fantasizer like Makoto.

But there was something different about the way he wanted to achieve hope, one more maniacal. Unlike her classmate and any normal person, Nagito would take desperate measures to keep despair away.

And that's what made him crazy.