C H A P T E R 11

“But when it hurts
I can make it better
Girl if it works, it's gon' be forever
We been through the worst
Made it through the weather
Our problems and the pain (pain)
But love don't change” – Jeremih, Love don't change

                     Dominic Jones

"Can we talk now?" Kia asked knocking on the room door

After his breakdown at work D told him to take rest of the week off so he can get his affairs in order. Walking up to the door he unlocked it. He went back to the bed and sat against the headboard.

"I know your probably sick of this but from the bottom of my heart I apologize. I was hurtful and insensitive towards your feelings."

Dom didn't say anything he patted the bed next to him. Kia slowly made her way over to him and sat down.

"I've been going through a lot and I didn't want to add on to your stress that's why I called the break."

Readjusted his body so that they were sitting in front of each other. Dom grabbed Kia chin and made her look at him.

"What's really the matter baby? It's deeper than you missing me." Kia was about to look away but he gripped her chin and held it steady

Dom watched as tears pooled her eyes. Using the pad of his thumb he wiped them before they had a chance to fall

"Talk to me." He pulled her closer, wrapping his arms around her

"I got served. The past three months I was out job hunting so I can hire a lawyer. I didn't want to put extra stress on you, you were already working your ass off. I don't want to go to jail." At this point Kia was hysterical

Dom stayed silent so Kia continued. "They said my name came up in a Ponzi scheme, 30 counts of mail fraud and owe up to 6 million. Dom I don't have that type of money." She hiccuped wiping at her eyes

"Dom it wasn't me I promise, I never signed off on any investments. I wasn't even in charge of that."

"Kia why didn't you tell me? I'm your husband we could work through this together."

"No we can't! Your parents are already salty that I left. I don't want you to get caught up, I was protecting you."

"I don't know what to do, I found something part time but that isn't enough. Dom I scared." Kia continued to break down

He pulled her into his lap and hugged her tightly feeling his own emotions getting the best of him. It felt like he was getting played all over again. After everything that happened and all of the investigations started they never turned back, they ended up signing over all of their day and night businesses to the government to avoid these types of problems and here they are months later caught up in the mix. He rubbed her back to sooth her before speaking up.

"We don’t need to worry that every setback indicates something’s wrong. So long as we’re making progress on the whole, we can trust we’re doing just fine. We all make mistakes in life. We all go through phases when we need to relearn lessons we’ve already learned, and that can be frustrating when we’re in that moment, feeling regret, remorse, or impatience. But if we looked back on our lives, we’d recognize how far we’ve come, despite the peaks and valleys. We’d see we’ve learned and grown, as we do every moment of every day. We’d see we’re not the same people we were before, and know we won’t be the same tomorrow. Still, while we’re always becoming, we can’t ever experience happiness if we’re fixated on who we could or should be. We can only experience happiness by being who we are, because it’s only available right now. We may never attain the ideal, but maybe that’s okay. Maybe our purpose isn’t just to grow—maybe it’s also about growing to love our perfectly imperfect selves."

Kia chuckled drying her tears some. "Who have you been hanging around? You sound like a motivational speaker."

Dom brushed her hair to the side and smiled. "I missed you so much Kia you don't even understand, when you left you left I lost myself, I legit drank every night just so I can heal the pain. I'm not even a drinker so you know that shit fucked me up. Not a day went by that I wasn't thinking about you and your well being. I even stopped by your parents house and they told me you never showed up. Where were you?"

"I stayed with my cousin, she's the one who help me find a part time job." Kia pinched the side of his rib

"Don't pinch me bae long ass dick grabbers."

"When you feeling like shit don't drink, that will be your downfall for sure lightweight."

"I know I know but tell me something, you tell me not to hide behind my feelings and inner fears but you turn around and did it to me had me thinking I did something wrong."

"Dom why do you still have separation anxiety? I thought you grew out of it."

"Why are you changing the subject Kianna?"

"Cornelius." Kia said straight facing him

"Kianna Jones anwser my question." Kia huffed repositioning her body in his lap

"Tic for tac." Dom sucked his teeth

"You wanna say hello to the couch again tonight?"

"I wanna remarry you. Would you do the honors of being my husband again?" Kia asked changing the subject

She dug in her pocket and pulled out a box. "I bought you a diamond nose ring." She mumbled softly opening it

"Why are you changing the subject just talk to me. And how did you buy this? You shoulda used the money to buy you a lawyer."

"Dom stop asking so me questions. I used Makai's money."

"He's going to beat your ass Kia. Are you hiding something from me?" He asked removing the ring from his nose

"No." She mumbled placing her hands on his shoulders

"Am I forgiving?" Dom looked at her for a second before nodded

It was still something she was hiding and he was going to figure it out one way or another even if that means forcing it out of her. Kia grabbed his face and brought her lips to his in a passionate kiss.