61

Sometimes in life, we get to the stage where nothing surprises us anymore. Someone dies; we say it was their time. Someone fails; failure is part of life, they will get it right the next time. We have reached the point where it is acceptable for us to be hurt because the people we love the most are the ones who hurt us the most, right?

However, "we" is not everyone. We are not the same; the world population is about 7.6 billion and more up to date, meaning that there are seven billion different people out there. We do not all perceive life the same way; the way Jean sees an elephant is not the same way Anna sees an elephant. Lara may see it as what it is - an animal, while Maya may see it as tension.

This was the situation with Anita Simmons. She had made the biggest mistake of her life, but she did not even know it. She had invited MJ over for breakfast at the beach house on a Saturday morning. When MJ refused to talk to her the previous night, she was convinced that MJ was still mad at her.

“Morning, Ani…” Jorge greeted as he ran down the stairs, shirtless, but he left his sentence hanging in the air as he spotted his sister pacing around the sitting room. He walked to the last stair and assessed her with hard eyes. “What are you doing here?” He asked coldly, and MJ turned around and met his eyes.

“The last time I checked, the check that paid for this house had my signature on it, and this house is under my name.” MJ retorted with a raised eyebrow, and Jorge tensed at her words. He was right when he said to Reina that their relationship had taken a different turn; it was becoming more professional as the day passed.

Jorge was about to say something when Anita appeared from the kitchen. “Morning, Jorge.” Anita laughed, looking at the two siblings who were staring at each other. She was unaware of the growing tension between them; to her, it was just the usual sibling rivalry, but to them, it was much more than that.

“I didn’t know we had a guest.” He grinned at her, his voice laced with bitterness, but she did not catch on, she was already on her way back to the kitchen.

“Anita invited me over for breakfast before I head out to whore myself.” MJ stated bitterly, throwing his words at him, and Jorge flinched.

“Breakfast is served, people!” Anita yelled from the kitchen. MJ gave Jorge one last glance and stalked off to the kitchen, and took a seat at the end of the table.

Jorge came into the kitchen, wearing a black oversized T-shirt, and took a seat on the opposite end. MJ gave him a pointed look as he was wearing her T-shirt, but did not say anything. “Who’s going to pray for us?” Anita asked, breaking the tension between the two. It was not an awkward tension, but a weird relationship between a brother and sister. At least, that was what she thought.

“MJ, will you please pray for us?” Jorge asked.

“Okay, let’s close our eyes and bow our heads.” She said. “Dear Father, thank you for the food we are about to receive. Dear Lord, bless it with your holy spirit, and bless us as we are about to eat.” She opened her eyes and watched Jorge as she muttered the next words. “Cleanse us of all our sins and open our eyes, oh Lord, and help us in our quest to seek the truth. In Jesus name…”

“Amen.” “Amen.” “Amen.” They said simultaneously.

“Enjoy your food, Jeanette.” Jorge said sarcastically, his jaw clenched.

“Enjoy your food too, Nathan. Be sure not to choke on it.” MJ said through her teeth and pulled her lips into a sardonic grin.

“Enjoy your food, Anita.” Jorge and MJ said in unison.

“You guys are weird. But thanks, you too.” Anita chuckled and shook her head.

Breakfast went well; they were talking about business as usual when they were together, except, the conversations were filled with sarcasm, which Anita failed to catch on to. “So, Jorge, Anita tells me that you were mugged? Did they hurt you?” MJ asked, and Jorge’s hand froze in mid-air.