53

The next morning while Jameson was getting ready for work, his mother was seated in their sitting room, waiting for him. She was not working because it was a holiday.

It was the 27th of April, a South African public holiday known as Freedom Day, which celebrated freedom and commemorated the first post-apartheid elections held on that day in 1994. The elections were the first non-racial national elections where everyone of voting age of over eighteen from any race group, including foreign citizens permanently resident in South Africa, was allowed to vote.

“Morning, Ma.” Jameson greeted and kissed her on the cheek.

“Morning, Ricardo.” She gave him a sad smile.

He noticed the sadness in her eyes and squatted before her. “Ma, wat gaan aan? (Ma, what is going on?)” He asked in concern.

“Please sit down.” She said and patted on the space next to her, and he joined her on the couch. She held his hands and took a deep breath. “Look, I know what you did.” She said in a calculated voice, carefully watching his body language.

“What are you talking about?” He asked, confused.

Reina thought hard about her conversation with her brother and his advice to be there for her son because he needed her and finally decided to talk to him. "I know you killed your father." She whispered. Jameson pulled his hands away from her and jumped away from the couch, his face pale. "Ricardo, sit down!" She commanded, but he just stood there and wandered off, unable to digest what his mother was telling him. "I understand why you did it, I really do!" She stood up and held his face in her hands.

“I’m sorry, Ma.” He cried.

“No, no, no!” She shook her head and wiped his tears off. “I am sorry, son.” She said, tears running down her face. “I’m sorry for neglecting you, for not being there when you needed me the most.” She cried.

After Jameson’s father had hit her on the head with the vase, she went into a coma for almost six months after a critical internal bleeding. When she woke up, she did not remember the events that had happened the night of the accident; she was told that her husband was dead and that her brother had killed him. Ever since then she was never the same person again.

Jameson, on the other hand, had been having nightmares about that night all his life, but not even his mother was there to comfort him. He had problems falling asleep and the only time he slept peacefully was when he stayed over at MJ's place, and the night he confessed to her. It was as if a burden had been lifted off his shoulders.

He and his mother talked and comforted each other, and after their talk, he went to MJ’s apartment before her driver could come and pick her up.

“Hey!” MJ greeted him with a brief hug.

“Someone’s in a good mood.” Jay chuckled.

“Not really, I’m nervous as hell.” She said breathlessly and sat down on the couch, and Jameson sat next to her. “So what do I owe this pleasure?” She asked and glanced at her watch.

“Can’t I visit my friend?” He asked, feigning hurt, but MJ rolled her eyes. “Fine!” He groaned and sighed. “My boss is sending me on a business trip to Australia.” He said heavily.

MJ frowned as she took in his face. “That’s great, but why do you look so unhappy? You should be excited.” She asked.

“I know. It is just so…sudden and unusual.” He said, and MJ raised an eyebrow at him.

“I thought you loved to travel.” MJ said thoughtfully.

“I do, MJ, but the furthest place that Kyle has ever sent me is Johannesburg. I have never left the country on business and now all of a sudden he’s sending me to Australia of all places.” He said with frustration in his voice. MJ was confused, Jameson had always wanted to go to Australia, and now that he finally got the chance, he was complaining. “I don’t know; it’s like he’s trying to get rid of me or something. I have many clients this side and Kyle needs me, but he’s insisting that I go to Australia or else he’s going to fire me.” He shouted apprehensively.