Your darkened eyes revealed themselves once more towards the demon. Your surroundings all around you were darkened, forcing you to only focus your attention on the demon in front of you, who started to approach you itself. Launching yourself right at the demon, you sliced its neck off cleanly as you landed on the opposite side of it. Slowly, the colors of your surroundings began to come back and the sounds from the forest now echoed loudly. Turning around quickly, you stared at the still demon and a baffled Tanjiro. 

The demon coughed violently as its head slowly began to slip from its neck. You approached the demons now decapitated head, turning its head with the side of your feet in order for it to face you, "You didn't really think that I would give you the opportunity to show me your "finger", did you?" You asked calmly, not trying to mock the demon. It only stared at you as it continued to struggle to breath, "Just go to sleep now, you probably have family waiting for you, don't you?" You asked it, giving it a calm smile, which you adopted from Tanjiro through this entire selection. 

The demon finally stopped having trouble breathing as it continued to stare at you with its golden eyes, which you never noticed until now. "I-," your never-ending smile stayed on your face, "I don't know." It said, fear and sadness now in its tone of voice. You looked back at Tanjiro who was watching the whole seen with a somber look. You nodded your head towards him, signalling for him to come over to you. He approached you slowly before finally standing next to you, looking down at the demon with sadness. 

Crouching down to the demons head, you place it in your lap, something that you've never done before during this entire selection. The demon slowly had tears erupting from its eyes like a calm river, "Thank you..." Was all that it said. You felt an ache in your heart as you saw the demon finally close its eyes as its tears still traveled down. Before long, the demon finally disintegrated, its final burning ashes being picked up by the wind. You continue to look at your lap with a pain that you've never felt before in your heart. Closing your eyes for a second, you breathed in heavily, taking in the smell of wet moss. 

Blinking, you turn your head over to Tanjiro, who was looking at you with his own bittersweet smile. You smile back at him, "You know Tanjiro," you began as you stood up from the ground, brushing away the dirt with your hands, "I'm glad that I met you." His lips became agape as he heard your words as you opened your hand to accept his once more. "If I didn't," he grabbed your hand softly as you pulled him up, "I probably would've kept looking at demons like they were disgusting animals. But now, I see them as unfortunate souls." He chuckled lightly, a faint blush on his cheeks now. "I'm glad that you think that, (Y/N)san." He said lightly, holding your one hand with both of his larger ones. You could feel your heart flutter lightly as your chest tightened. Trying to control your emotions, which you knew damn well that you couldn't. You took your hand out of his, making sure to not be too rash with your actions. "Well," you stare back at the cave where you two have slept during these past six days, "I think it's time that we finally go back, I'm really tired of sleeping on leaves and hard rock." You jokingly said, making Tanjiro himself also laugh. He nodded his head as he maintained his eyes on you, "Well, then let's get going then, (Y/N)san." With your eyes meeting his, you nodded happily as he took your hand in his, once again. 

The two of you ran through the densely packed forest once more, but not with excitement. On your way back to the selection area, you two were ambushed over and over again with demons, which was a huge headache to the both of you since you both just wanted to walk. After running, which seemed like forever, you both stopped, not realizing where you were. You panted deeply as you used your knees as support. "(Y/N)san," Tanjiro said, making you look up at him to find him staring at wisteria trees that surrounded the both of you. You gasped at the sight of the trees, "We made it..." you panted under your breath, sweat dripping from your chin.