I Must

Thank you to fateclawsnathalieAlicejoellamariahdobblewolfPackWolfLegolas, and crystalily2003 for their sunshiney comments and votes to the previous chapter. 

Thank you to cartesanoRonabyMikaelLouiseVimoralesakira, and Midori_Is_Taco61 for adding this story to their reading lists! 

A late update today! Do not stay up too late reading  . . . 

Elrond watched with respect as Healer Jailil diverted the attention of frightened child with questions about the archery fields and snapped a broken bone into place as the elfling rambled about his lessons in the bow. Five minutes later, the wounded arm was bandaged and treated and another patient filled the empty space.

Elves in light armor carried stretchers into the ward from the south door, bringing the injured to the row of operating rooms at the front of the healing ward. The operating chambers emptied as the treated elves were carried to rest and the beds were filled again.

Voices filled the area as tight-faced apprentices and healers hurried to complete necessary tasks and groans of pain haunted the halls. Healer Jailil alternated between standing at Elrond's side and rushing to stitch up delicate wounds across the hall before he was back to bind another arm and gone to save a life.

A brief lull afforded Healer Jailil the chance to wash his hands and sit down to rest his feet. As he leaned his head against the back of the chair, Pine swept into the white room brightened by a single vase of purple flowers.

"You asked for me?"

"This is thoroughly inefficient," Healer Jailil said, sitting up. "We have not had such a flood since days of war. We must open the north healing ward. It is tiring for the patrols to bring the injured around to south door when the north door might be closer and the south door is overloaded."

Pine cleared his throat. "I agree. But you forget we do not have another Master Healer to oversee the northern ward. Amenica left us, you remember?"

"She has been requisitioned down at a ward in the east of Mirkwood," Healer Jailil said dismissively. "But you are wrong; we do have another Master Healer. You will oversee the northern ward."

The color drained from the elf's face and he sat down hard. "But I am not ready, ada."

Healer Jailil took his son by the shoulders and looked into his eyes. You are ready, Pine, for the very reason you think you are not."

"I-I cannot. Lives will be in my hands. What if I cannot save them because I make a mistake or—or do not what to do? Blood rattles me."

Jailil nodded. "I know it does. But you will know what to do. We healers are prepared to see pain knowing we can end it. The Northern Ward is your responsibility now so round up your apprentices and assistants and go heal."

"But why must it be me? Elrond is a Master Healer—"

"I need Elrond here with me. You are more familiar with the way things work here then Elrond and you know the elves that will be helping you."

Pine searched his father's eyes and saw he must take up the reins thrust into his hands. He stood and straightened his collar. In silence, he left the room.