I Know Lies

Thank you to nathalieAlicePackWolfLegolasMOStar598crystalily2003fateclaws, and HawaParsay for commenting and voting on the previous chapter! You people are honey on my bread. 

Thank you to madamk006pocahonasArabelaGraceCubarRaghad26052019manaloargelChedda0, and fizzah-ch for adding this story to their reading lists!

A brief  note from Life: Apologies for taking Jaya away from you; as you know, this update should have come yesterday but I needed her urgently to attend a meeting with a pavilion full of little souls that make life sweet. Without further ado, I return Jaya (and this chapter) to you and promise not to make this a common occurrence! Thank you for your amazing understanding. 

"I rather think the couch is a more comfortable seat then this chair," Onyx answered as he rose to his feet.

Galion set a tray with tea for the elflings on the low coffee table in the family room and another tray with wine goblets on a higher shelf for the adults before he left. Landion and Legolas joined Onyx on the couch, wondering if they could plead a sip of wine. Rocky left Jade's lap to be wrestled and tossed by his father. At his first shriek of laughter, Arwen abandoned her blocks and joined in.

"You will forgive me, Lady Celebrian, if your daughter is too delicate to sustain our games," Mervyn said with a nod to the elf mother.

"Oh, Arwen is made of tougher stuff then you might think," Celebrian replied, filling a goblet of wine for Elrond. "She will enjoy a good tumble."

Harune and Thranduil sat in their chairs by the small fire holding back the vague spring chill.

"Where did your tattoos come from?" Landion asked suddenly, touching the inked patterns on Onyx's face.

"Ooh!" said Jade, "Those tattoos were one of the few things ada did not condone."

"I object!" Harune protested.

Onyx wound a strand of Landion's black hair over his fingers with a malicious smile. "A fine question, little brother. Let me tell you how I came to bear these markings.

"Perhaps twenty five years after Harune was called by Oropher to attend to Thranduil, I roamed through the archery and sword fields. It was there I developed my dream to be as a great a warrior. And the greatest of the young warriors was an elf with crows inked across his cheeks.

"After seeing his tattoos, I determined to have some of my own, though ada refused to support my request and forbid any 'marring' of my face. A month or so later, on a visit to the palace, I shut myself in the library and found a book detailing the application of tattoos. When my family and I returned home, I bought the needles and ink I needed, locked myself in the bathroom before a mirror, and drew a tattoo across the left of my face."

"Did it hurt?" Landion asked with admiring eyes for his brother's tattoos.

Onyx snorted. "Of course not! Well, perhaps a little. I went astray with the needle and string several times and, when I was finished, the sight of bloody towels struck me. Briefly afraid of my parents' reactions, I hid in the bathroom until Harune demanded I come out."

"He must have had a fit," Legolas said admiringly.

"Have you ever known me to have a fit?" Harune requested.

"Well," said Legolas, "I do not know what you were like before I knew you. You might have been a nervous wreck."

Landion giggled. Onyx said, "The first thing ada did was make sure I was alright. He held me for a little while in silence before we went and told nana. And the next day, my parents made the twin of my first tattoo on my blank cheek."

Legolas looked closely at Onyx's face. "Now that you mention it, one side of your face does look a bit . . ."

"Messy," Onyx accused.

"Unsymmetrical," Legolas said. "I was going to say unsymmetrical."

Onyx chuckled. "The tattoo I made is the better of the two. Regretfully, ada and nana were so busy fighting over the needle, it went astray more then once."

Legolas winced. Landion remarked, "I suppose ada thought he could make a better tattoo."

"Nana did not agree," Onyx said, nodding his head. "I am lucky to have both my eyes after their butchery."

"Excuse me!" Harune objected.

"Nothing," Onyx said. "Now give me some wine."

Legolas moved a little closer to Onyx. His eyes traveled around the room as he thought what a perfect gathering of family and friends he lived surrounded by and swore to himself he would not enter the black magic room again. But something in him knew he lied for the room seemed to dim as if he could not see the light without his mother to complete the picture.

The Prince of Mirkwood fell asleep, a hollow hole in his heart as Thranduil rubbed his back. He did not deserve to be so loved. And the Prince of Mirkwood entered the black magic chamber again after his lessons sat completed to read the books that seemed to greet him with smiles. And, unbeknownst to him, with each word he absorbed, a little piece of darkness wound its way into his soul.

Without a guiding light and afraid to ask Thranduil for help, Legolas wandered alone, seeking a way to bring his mother back but knowing his father would disapprove.

Careful not to spend too long in the room after his lessons in case he awakened Thranduil's suspicions, it took Legolas several days to pick his way through the books on the shelves.

The beginnings of summer were nearing and the river flowed blue and full with winter melts from its springs up in the mountains. It roared under the bridge outside the palace. Green leaves brought the forest to life again as the winds blew the damp spring rains and gardens throughout Mirkwood filled with tiny, new plants.

Though life was growing anew in the forest, the magic Legolas found was as old as the hills and exactly what he wanted. He took the book with him, locking the door to the room behind him, and a list of the things he would need burned into his brain. He flinched at the thought of the sharp knife he would need but told himself it would all be alright when he had his mother back.

It was easy to find candles and chalk and easier still to take some of the paper and ink he used for his lessons. The last two items he needed were not so simple but he managed to secret away a sharp dagger from the weapon's chamber when Hyrondal turned his back. He took a ring from his father's jewel case also and kept it with the knife. He knew it was stealing but how could Thranduil see it as wrong when Ailunai stood before him?

Ah, Legolas knows what he is doing wrong. And this time I fear it may go too far.

Next Chapter: Legolas lies.