I Must Go

Thank you to isaacsalanMOStar598nathalieAliceTiemna, and  fateclaws for commenting and voting on the previous chapter! 

Thank you to ayeshasyed088 and monkeyfly123 for adding this story to their reading lists! 

Galion ushered an elf woman to the throne. She stopped before Thranduil, followed by a grumbling dwarf of unusual heights and three curious children.

Thranduil stared at her, the woman's hazel eyes and red hair sparking an old memory in him.

"Jade," he said slowly. "What in Middle Earth are you doing here?"

Jade grinned and held out her arms as Thranduil descended the throne to hug her. "Gwador nin, I wondered if you would remember me. The years have stretched out long since I left for the Iron Hills. We followed ada after he received your letter but he went ahead on the fastest horse. I thought it was time our children were connected with their elven heritage. Where is ada?"

"He is with Landion," Thranduil answered.

Jade gestured to the dwarf. "This is my husband, Mervyn."

"I do not suppose he will be bowing," Thranduil said and extended his hand, wincing at the tight grip he received around his fingers.

"Our children," Jade said, swinging her hand toward the children who were standing on the edge of the throne platform, looking down. "Svain, Helena, and Rocky."

"Galion will take your luggage to your rooms," Thranduil said. "Jade, if you would like to see Harune, I will see if he can be disturbed."

"When do we eat?" Svain demanded.

"Galion will escort you to the table," Thranduil answered.

Jade waved to her husband as Thranduil led her away. "Take care of the children. This palace is full of priceless things; better not break too many of them. Galion rather has a heap on his shoulders."

"Had you come a few days earlier, it would have been true," Thranduil answered. "After having been king for a week or so, Galion says he has more than enough time on his hands."

Healer Jailil met Thranduil in the hallway, casting a curious look at Jade. He answered the King's query, "Harune is awake and Landion is dozing. You may have a few minutes with him."

"I must see the elfling our father is so wrapped up in he forgot to mention to you our coming," Jade teased as Thranduil opened the door to Landion's room.

Harune had a pen between his teeth over Landion's head as he looked over a scroll of parchment. He spat out the pen at the sight of Jade and hissed, "Gracious valar, Thranduil, I omitted to mention—"

Thranduil held up a hand. "There is no need. The dwarves of the Iron Hills have allowed you to invade their tunnels; it is only fair we return the gesture. You ought to be resting."

Harune looked offended as he let the paper drift to the blanket. "I am reviewing Galion's paper. Jade, anel nin, this is Landion. Your brother."

Jade stepped silently to the edge of the bed to peek down at Landion with her head tilted to one side. "Another brother. Do not worry, ada, Onyx and I will not greet him with the same attitude with which we treated our first one." She looked at Thranduil.