I Saw Their Souls

I apologize for the late update; I have had a bad cold over the past week. Enjoy the chapter and may it make up for the extra wait! 

Thank you to @crystalily2003, @Avaloyuru, @Elf_of_hogwarts, @felly_belly (love the new profile picture), @Tiemna, and @nathalieAlice for voting and commenting on the previous chapter.

Elladan put the plate of cake into Glorfindel's hand as Harune gestured for the elf lord to take it to Thranduil. "You said you wished to speak to him? He and Legolas ought to be awake, Glorfindel. Do not knock in case they are sleeping."

"And tell him we made the cake for him and Legolas," Elladan added. "It has strawberry jam."

"And is a horrible temptation," Glorfindel said, eying the warm slab dripping with honey and red sauce. "It may not make it to Thranduil."

Elladan grinned, unconcerned, and dashed to wolf down a quick breakfast before he and Elrohir departed with Landion for an hour or two in the archery fields.

"Tell him me and Elrohir will come to see him at lunch!" he shouted back.

Glorfindel took the plate and departed. Out of habit he stopped to knock on the solid wood door as he stopped before it and, remembering Harune's orders at the last minute, drew his hand back and let it fall to the doorknob.

Thranduil turned his head as the door creaked open from where he sat against the pillows, his eyes on Legolas's sleeping face pressed to his chest. His fingers dropped from Legolas's hair and he smiled a silent welcome.

"Elladan and Elrohir asked me to deliver this to you," Glorfindel said, presenting the loaf of cake. "And I—wished to speak to you."

Thranduil took the plate and cut the cake in half, eating vigorously with the one fork. It was a difficult maneuver to eat and hold the plate at an angle above Legolas's head without letting loose a flow of crumbs but he managed.

"My ears are open, Glorfindel, and I have no doubt the twins will come to see me after their lessons if Legolas is not awake by noon. He will wake up soon. Saes, sit down."

The elf king gestured for Glorfindel to sit down. The balrog slayer pushed several imposing layers of silk mantle aside and lowered himself to the chair, leaning back against the square table behind it. Thranduil carefully put down the plate with half of the cake left for Legolas.

"Are Elladan and Elrohir happy?" Glorfindel asked.

"As happy as they can be," Thranduil said. "Elrond's refusal to stay and learn or leave for good nags at them."

"And you? Does it nag at you?"

"No," said Thranduil. "I will give them the love they want and shield them from Elrond as long as blood flows in my veins; as long as they need it. And I am not above taking extreme measures to do it. I lived not the perfect childhood I dreamed of for many long nights but one filled with confusion and pain. Harune was there for me when I needed him; he protected me when I asked. I will not leave Elladan and Elrohir to suffer alone."

"Does it bother Legolas?"

Thranduil looked down at the sleeping face on his chest and tilted his head to one side, regarding the face with fondness. He opened his mouth to answer but Legolas slurred from somewhere in the middle of his dream world, "No . . . It does not bother me, Glorfindel. I lived not a dream childhood either but ada gave me his love and protection when I asked. I know how Elladan and Elrohir feel; I have been hurt to. I would not want to leave them alone either. What is that smell?"

Legolas sat up and rubbed his eyes, managing to poke his elbow hard into Thranduil's stomach as he sat. Thranduil grunted as Legolas stretched and yawned, and targeted the plate of cake with hungry eyes. He crawled across Thranduil, poking his elbows and knees into his father at delicate points and left Thranduil groaning.