A Little Freedom?

Legolas shook off the feelings of disturbance for the most part but they still lingered in the back of his mind during the rest of his visit in Rivendell. Thranduil, Legolas, and the twins went out on long walks. The twins found in Thranduil the father they had always wanted; the elf that would roll and wrestle in mud, exchange watery splashes, sprawl on the floor and play games, bake cakes in the kitchens, and go on long walks. True, he scolded and frowned to, but his disapproval did not bring with it the dreaded feeling of physical punishment. It was not long afterwards that Legolas and Thranduil headed home, leaving Rivendell a little less sunny, and its inhabitants wondered why. The twins watched him go with sinking hearts, wishing to be with him always.

Harune and Landion greeted their family with open arms at the gates of the palace in Mirkwood.

"How was your visit, Legolas?" Harune asked, as he hugged the elfling.

"It was fun," Legolas replied. "And I would go again! But I missed you."

"I missed you to, for all the noise you and Landion make," Harune said, patting the top of the blonde head. "It was too quiet while you were away!"

Legolas looked at Landion as Harune moved to greet Thranduil. "What did you do without me?"

Landion grinned. "We went swimming and picnicking and hiking and we baked cake every day! But I am glad you are back! I have been working up my arm strength and I am ready to wrestle you flat! Were the twins fun?"

Legolas thought for a minute and then nodded. "Yes. The visit was a lot of fun. I liked the twins, but they were not as much fun as you. Elrond is not very free with them, I do not think."

"I guess I never will be able to meet them," Landion said mournfully. "And I bet even looking at twins is a sight to behold!"

But Landion did get to see them for a month later a letter arrived from Rivendell and it was not good news.

OoOoOoO

"Ada?" Elladan whispered.

"Ada!" Elrohir gasped. His hands flew to his mouth. He turned and ran, screaming, "Naneth! Naneth! Come quickly! Ada is hurt! There so much blood—!" His voice choked off into a sob.

The door to the house above him flew open and Celebrian dashed across the terrace, clutching her skirts so she would not trip as she ran to Glorfindel's side. Her face was pale.

The blonde elf was sliding off his horse, his breastplate splattered with blood, a red tinge in his hair, and most of the red liquid was not his own. It was Elrond's.

Elrond lay limply in Glorfindel's arms, his face ashen grey, rivers of dried blood running across his face, his armor dented and pierced with holes.

"What happened?" Celebrian gasped as she skidded to a halt and reached out to assure herself her husband was alive. "You went to hunt down the orcs around the edges of the valley but . . ."

"We were ambushed," Glorfindel replied. "Elrond insisted on leading the party and . . . the injuries are bad. I brought him home as soon as I could. He is not dead but he will need to rest and recover many months before he is well."

The balrog slayer looked weary, lines of exhaustion running across his face. But he followed Celebrian in the direction of the healing wing as a servant ran ahead to alert the healers. It was only after Elrond was taken into the intensive care chamber and Celebrian was about to go in that she noticed her two sons, their faces scared.

"Will ada be all right?" Elladan asked in a small voice. "He did not look well; there was so much blood."

Celebrian knelt down by the twins. "Elladan, Elrohir, Elrond is badly injured but he is going to live. I will nurse him back to health with the aid of the healers. You . . ." Gracious valar, what would she do with the twins? She would not leave her husband's side until she knew her mate would live; she could not possibly look after the twins. Who could?