Chapter 28 - Back at it

Magsimula sa umpisa

After inspecting the initial parts of the warehouse, I head for my office. Once again I put a code into the small keypad next to the door and it opens.

The second I pull the door open, I find Sasha and Ryan having sex on my desk and quickly close the door once more. "Dude what the fuck?" I yell through the door.

"I wasn't expecting you back until tomorrow," Ryan yells back before the door swings open once more revealing Sasha and Ryan now both fully clothed.

"Don't you have a house for that? I'm sure it's better than on my office desk." I huff.

"I haven't been home much, I've been here working while you've been off having a wonderful time with your girl, probably doing the same at every single hotel you stayed in," Ryan winks.

"She's not my girl, and we're not sleeping together, not anymore anyway."

"Are you fighting again?" Sasha sighs as she crosses her arms over her chest. "What's wrong with you two? You were in a good place before you left, and I saw all the photos the two of you posted, you looked so happy."

"We were." I shrug.

"So? What happened?" She presses on.

"Ryan open the database." I tell him.

Moving quickly, he picks up the laptop from the edge of the desk and opens it, logging into the database, then looks at me for further instruction. "Look her up."

"Who?" He questions with a blank expression.

"Amity Logan." I roll my eyes.

"Why would I do tha-"

"Just do it." I huff in annoyance.

"Alright, no need to get your panties in a twist" He rolls his eyes and begins typing into the database. Once the search is complete, his eyes begin to scan the pages in front of him, and I watch him, I can tell exactly when he's reached the good part, because he looks back toward me wide eyed. "Holy fuck. She's the daughter of Evana and Dean Logan, she's the daughter of the Cobra leaders."

"What?" Sasha gasps and quickly makes her way to Ryan's side, standing behind him, reading the information over his shoulder.

"This information doesn't leave this room, you got it? You don't tell Brigette, you don't tell Markus, you don't tell a fucking soul, I don't want her in any danger." I warn with a stern expression.

"Chet, as if we would ever do that to her, she's our friend" Sasha sighs.

"Then sit down because you're in for quite the story."

***

It didn't take me long to get Sasha and Ryan up to speed on everything that went down at Amity's family home yesterday, both of them listening intently, hanging on every word that left my lips, both of them in pure disbelief.

"Her mother." Sasha gulps. "She killed your father?"

"Yes." I nod my head.

"H-How do you feel about that?" She stutters.

"Fine, thanks Dr. Phil." I roll my eyes.

"Chet." Ryan snaps at me with a warning tone, reminding me not to speak to his woman like that.

"It's okay baby he's hurting." Sasha places her hand in Ryan's and takes a deep breath. "I'm very sorry all of this happened if you decide you want to talk about it, we're here for you." She gives me a soft smile.

"Do you know what I find funny? Your Dad was in love with her Mom, and now you're in love with her." Ryan chuckles.

"Seriously?" I roll my eyes and exit via the office door, not wanting to say or do something I'll regret.

"Ryan." Sasha yells at him. "Why the hell did you say something like that?"

Amity's POV:

"Arg." I yell in frustration as I slam my tools back down in my toolbox.

"Amity?" Austin calls as he makes his way out of the office and toward me quickly, "What's wrong?"

"This stupid fucking thing." I yell and slam my hand down.

"Amity, just leave it, I'll do it, you're tired and you're not on your game today."

"No, Austin, I'm a fuck up, that's why it's not working. I fuck up everything I touch." I yell. As I feel the tears welling in my eyes, I turn my head to the side, no longer wanting to be seen by Austin, and I lower my voice. "You know what, you're right, I'm just not feeling it today, I'll see you tomorrow." I slide my keys off the table and exit the workshop hurriedly.

The moment I reach my car in the parking lot, I unlock it and slide into the driver's seat. Taking a deep breath, I lay my head against the headrest and close my eyes. The tears streaming down my cheeks, not stopping no matter how much I try to make them.

This isn't me, I'm not this person, I've never been this person, I shouldn't be sitting here crying, I should be faking a smile, I should be showing everyone how happy I am, that I'm fine, that no matter what life throws at me I can take it and nothing brings me down. That's what I've done my entire life, so why can't I do it now? Chet was only in my life for a few months, so why is he the only person who's ever made me feel this way?

Taking a deep, shaky breath, I open my eyes once more, tears still streaming down my cheeks. Slowly I look towards the rear-view mirror, catching my reflection. In that moment, I see myself, not the me I pretend to be, the real me.

My entire life I have played the role of being strong and brave and okay. But maybe I'm not okay, maybe I'm sick of having a smile on my face all the damn time, maybe I'm sick of faking it, maybe I want to have a moment of weakness, maybe I want to feel vulnerable, maybe I want to feel human.

Forcing myself to look in the mirror, I take in my reflection once more before moving the mirror away so I can no longer see myself, and I sit, allowing myself to feel, allowing myself to hurt, allowing myself to cry, not just for Chet but for every time I've ever felt like I needed to cry, for every single bottled up tear I have ever held in, for every time I felt like a failure but shrugged it off, for every time someone told me I wasn't enough, for the time Benz broke my heart, for myself and who I've always felt the need to be. 

This chapter was edited and re-published on 20/9/20