Chapter 58: But Wait

A/N: So I don't really have an excuse for being so late with this chapter except that I'm a lazy arse who was too tired and stressed from school work, cheer (which is freaking intense I want to cry), hiding from bears outside my house, visiting with my godmother, spending time with my dad before he leaves for work until Thanksgiving and many more things that could be considered excuses except that none of them really are so I'm sorry I'm lazy and unreliable and fall victim to writers block too often! But if you like my story you'll just have to put up with me for a while longer! But I hope you can forgive me enough to give me some feedback after reading this one! I'm still quite unhappy with the way it turned out (and I detest the chapter title so if you can think of a better one please let me know!) and I changed the beginning, middle and end of this chapter about a million times before now but I hope you can cope with the finished product and I am super open to and advice you have to improve it! Thanks so much though and happy reading! :) xxx

Oh and p.s. I promise I will get around to answering all your lovely comments and messages soon! But I have to sleep now so tomorrow I'll try to answer them all!

******************************************************************************

It was all I had left to hold onto after his hand was torn from my own in the OR by a sympathetic scrub nurse.

We sat there for hours and the waiting was torture but I knew the worst of it was coming just around the corner. This was only the beginning for us, but I was determined to see it through till the end.

(NIALL'S POV) 

I hate a lot of things. And on that one morning they all seemed to come together to make me even more pissed off than I already was. 

I hated the fact that Zayn was sick. That was that.

I hated suits. I was wearing a rather stiff black one. 

I hated to see people cry. Nora wouldn't stop crying. 

I hated being hungry. No one would let me stop to get breakfast. 

I hated paparazzi. They seemed to be everywhere. 

But what I hated the most was the fear. I was so afraid. So afraid that the verdict wouldn't be what we wanted; what we expected; what we all so desperately needed. 

We were all huddled together in a small back room of the court house, it could almost be called a closet if it weren't for the table's and chairs squished in the corner. We had all been escorted back here until the rest of the people preparing for the custody hearing were ready. 

Mr. Thunder, Nora's lawyer, was pacing back and forth in front of the door. It was comforting having him here though; he was the only one who actually knew what he was doing. "Five minutes everyone." A woman stuck her head through the door and I could almost hear the heartbeats quicken in the nervous bodies of my friends.

"Maybe, maybe I'l just sit this one out. I mean it's not like you need me out there or anything... right?" Nora finally spoke up after Liam had dried her tears for the umpteenth time. The two of them had been communicating together all morning through their strange unspoken language so hearing Nora actually speak was a bit of a surprise for us all. Well all of us who were actually there.

Zayn didn't... 

wouldn't... 

couldn't... 

come to the hearing. 

He was still recovering from his surgery but his mum was here and had stayed back with him at the hospital. 

The original court date was supposed to be two weeks ago but because of Zayn's, well we had begun to call it his 'condition', they had to postpone it. Nora didn't mind though, it gave her more time to do her two favorite things, panic and procrastinate.