Chapter 5: Tongue Tied

What she must have gone through was horrific and she has no family, except for us boys. We’re they only people she has right now, and she needs us more than ever.

(ORIGINAL POV) 

I opened my eyes and once more blinked in the glow of the fluorescent hospital lights that lay above my bed. The room was very crowded and it took me a second to adjust to all the new people as I sat up and looked around. Everyone was in a heated discussion around me, and their tempers seemed to be fuming. All the boys and Nancy stood on one side of the room and several police officers along with a few doctors who I didn’t recognize stood on the other. 

They seemed to be arguing over something pretty important but I was still a little drowsy from the surgery and couldn’t quite figure out what they were saying. Liam and Harry were standing right up in front of one burley looking police officer and a surgeon in pink scrubs, they were all going at each other yelling and screaming and gesturing like mad people. I kept trying to figure out what they were saying but my mind was still muddled. No one had noticed that I had woken up yet, they were all too distracted by the argument that was unfolding at the end of my bed. I closed my eyes for a moment to compose myself and when I reopened everything was clearer and I could properly decipher the words that were being yelled all around me.

“SHE DESERVES TO KNOW! It’s her life and you can’t keep this a secret from her!” Liam was absolutely furious; he was red in the face and practically fuming. Harry was behind him backing him up the whole time.

“He’s right! Isn’t it your job to tell her these things? And I know that you’re trying to protect her until she gets stronger but a secret like this isn’t going to stay private long and its something that she needs to know!” Zayn had pushed to the front to speak his mind but at that moment he turned to gesture towards me, they all turned to see me sitting up in bed watching them all quietly.

“Oh shit,” Niall pressed his hands to his face to cover his mouth, his face turning as red as a fire truck as everyone turned to stare at him, “What? Like you weren’t all thinking it…” He muttered under his breath in an attempt to defend his outburst but Louis just pat him on the arm as he got up and stumbled over to see me.

“So how you feeling Blondie?” He was back to his normally smiley self again and it seemed like he was the only one not really involved in the fight.

“I’m feeling better now thanks Louis.” I smiled up at him as he made himself comfortable next to me on the bed and started absentmindedly playing with strands of my hair.

“Now um, we have some questions for you and we decided at first to let you regain your strength and recover but we haven’t had much success with your case so Dr. Neil is here to ask you some basic questions and then we’ll take over after, is that alright?” The police officer who just moments before had been arguing with Liam had come to the side of the bed and his looming figure cast a large shadow across my face as he blocked out the light from behind him. I tried to swallow the large lump in my throat and nodded slightly in the hopes that he would then leave me alone.

So this is it, I can’t hide it anymore. Secrets always have a nasty way of coming out in the end and now they were all about to find out about my biggest secret yet; my clear lack of any substantial memories. Brilliant, just brilliant. “Okay lets just start with some easy ones alright?” A man who I assumed was Dr. Neil stood at the end of my bed and I gripped Louis hand and choked back my tears, forcing myself to accept my reality.

“Now, can you tell us your name?” The whole room was silent. As cliché as it sounds you quite literally could have heard a pin drop and all eyes were on me making it even harder to glance around and then finally have to shake my head in defeat. No, no I did not know my own name, and I highly doubted I would be able to answer any more of Dr. Neil’s ‘easy’ questions.