Chapter 46: Falling Back Into Place

"You complete," bringing it down with a loud crack against Marcus' jaw line, "fucking," and again on his nose, "moron. You sadistic," and again, "bastard," and again, "Don't you ever talk to her," until the guards had to physically restrain him from lunging at Marcus, "again." 

(NORAS POV)

“You just stay away from her! You hear me? Just leave her alone!” The door slammed shut and Marcus was dragged down the hall, wailing and laughing despite his bloody nose and fractured jawbone.

“Mr Payne.” I looked over to see the man who had walked us in towering over me, a stern look on his face, which deeply contrasted with Harry, who was actually trying to stifle laughter after Liam’s outburst.  I helped Liam up off the floor where he had been left after they pulled him off Marcus and held his hand tightly as I tried to avoid eye contact with the man who hadn’t even bothered to introduce himself to us this morning. 

“Now you understand that what you did could get you landed in prison yourself?” I felt Liam’s grip on my hand tighten as his body went rigid and he nodded slightly. He kept a masked expression over his face; hiding the feelings he didn’t want to share, but his eyes always gave him away and I knew he was scared. “You are an adult and would be tried as one if you were convicted, but if you weren’t convicted, if no one turned you in then would you be able to keep your mouth shut?” My eyes grew wide with astonishment, would we actually be able to get away with this? 

“Yes, yes sir.” His voice was shaky but he held himself in a composed manner as we watched him like a hawk. 

“Then this never happened.” Was all he said as he walked past us and I could feel Liam relax next to me, practically collapsing in on himself as he sighed and sat back down in the chair, running his fingers through his hair. 

“Shit man, I thought you were done for.” Harry was the first to speak, he had been accustomed to keeping quiet during tense times, but had been trying not to laugh after Liam’s attack on Marcus, but he was just reacting how any teenage boy would. He didn’t know what to do or say so he was laughing, something I did a lot when things became too overwhelming, so I didn’t bother trying to make his quiet. 

“Liam,” I hadn’t wanted to talk just yet, I was still too overwhelmed about the visit but I knew Liam needed me. His eyes had begun to well over with tears and his hands were shaking as they covered his beautiful face. 

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry I can’t help you. I’m sorry I can’t protect you but he can’t win, he just, he just can’t take you away from me.” I sat down next to him and held him close, whispering soothing words in his ear as he tried to compose himself. 

I don’t know how long we sat there together but it was long enough for me to go over the past hour in my head and think about all that had been said and done. I had been in my own little world for most of it. Some would say I was being cold, or distant, but it was a technique I had been shown at my new session. I would talk to myself through it all in order to keep myself calm, I would go over the worst case scenario and then move on instead of letting my fears build up over time. I didn’t know how well it would have worked but it was either that or I would be a crying, blubbering mess nearly 24/7. 

The jail hadn’t been what I had expected at all, it was eerily clean and bland, two things that in my mind didn’t go well together. Liam had stayed close with me since we’d found out but I felt bad for him, no matter what he said or did it didn’t have much of an effect on me, but I couldn’t let it, or I would break. 

I had enough of my own problems to think about without spending my day worrying about how this would affect the others. When it came down to it the only person this would affect would be me, it was my baby, my life, but then again, I wouldn’t have much of a life without those five boys. But Harry was there, Harry had stepped forward and lifted a huge weight off of my shoulders, he would look out for Liam so I could focus on myself, and getting through this day in one piece.