Twelve

I want her long blonde hair, I want her magic touch.
Yeah, 'cause maybe then you'd want me just as much.

-Girl Crush by Little Big Town

"Ryland Brielle Beckett! Explain to me why I got a call saying you're skipping school!" My mother started yelling the second she stepped foot in the door.

But my lips weren't working, in fact no real part of me has been functioning since Marcus drove me home from school except the tiny part of my brain that was willing my prior relationship with Finn to spark again.

I had a massive jewelry collection when I was five years old. One more intricate than beaded friendship bracelets and colored twine. I had diamond earrings, despite the fact that my ears weren't pierced. A ruby necklace to celebrate my birthday despite my birthstone being sapphire. It wasn't until I walked past my mother wearing an oversized diamond encrusted bracelet that she noticed to fancy collection.

When my mother asked me where I had gotten it, it resulted in my mother and I on the front porch of the McGregor's and me balling my eyes out as I presented the contents of my rustic jewelry box to Finn's mom.

My mother thought I had stolen those sparkly jewels during my afternoon visits to Finn's but as soon as Mrs. McGregor opened her door and saw me she began laughing. The type of laugh you feel in your toes. The kind that pulls tears to the corner for your eyes. She kneeled and her soft eyes were level with mine. "Ryland, sweetheart I've been looking all over for these, where did you find them."

"I-I didn't f-find them. Finn s-said princess n-need spark-kly jewels." I had in fact been a princess my father called me one and Finn insisted I had the jewels to match.

Mrs. McGregor called over her shoulder for Finn and when he appeared, he had a red Kool-aid mustache and a smile to match. His eyes doubled in size when he noticed I was crying, before he could ask me what was wrong his mother cut in. "Finn, did you give Ryland mommy's jewelry?"

She had asked the question slow and deliberately as if she had expected him to lie. Instead he pushed his blonde bangs, yes bangs he had an unsightly bowl cut, out of his eyes and responded in a tone that suggested his mother had asked a silly question. "Of course!"

My mother gave an awkward smile almost still doubtful I hadn't stolen them, and Finn was just covering for me. "Did she tell you to give them to her?" If I hadn't been so crushed that I was losing my precious collection I would have rolled my eyes at my mother.

Not that I blame her now looking back. I had been entirely unruly up until I was eight which had been entirely my father's fault the way he had spoiled me. I was always one temper tantrum away from getting what I wanted.

Finn only smiled, "No, dad said when you like a girl you have to give her gifts to make her happy!" Finn had been stealing his mother's jewelry to give to me because he thought he had to to keep me coming back to play with him. But I had liked Finn's company before the gifts. I realized I had liked Finn for a while.

Maybe that's why I felt so crushed by his decision earlier that day. So crushed it was all I could think of as my mother shouted my name to get my attention. When my eyes finally met hers, I couldn't hold it in any longer.

The levees behind my eyes felt the pressure of tears building up. One escaped after another until there was an overflow spilling down my face. "Mom?" It had come out as a question, as if I didn't tell her who I was she wouldn't recognize me from the mess I had become on the couch in our living room.

Instantly her chastising stopped, and her motherly instincts kicked in as she crossed the living room and wrapped me in a hug. I could feel her shaking, I had scared her, and I hadn't even told her why I was crying yet.