Chapter 47: The Hour Journey

Start from the beginning

  I heard a helicopter in the distance and sighed. The December air was cold against my face and I could feel my breath around me.

  I heard a twig snap behind me and I spun around with my knife already in hand.

  "Woah woah, sorry. I didn't mean to freak you out," Nile said and I sighed in relief.

  "It's weird being able to come outside and not getting mauled my zombies," Nile said and my hand went to my neck subconsciously.

  "Okay that was not meant to be literal," Nile said quickly as he watched my hand.

  "Yeah I know. Don't worry," I said simply. I wasn't really in the mood for conversation and I guess Nile understood that because he just leaned against the house in silence.

  After a minute or so Nile said, "I never got to thank you. For risking your life when I was captured."

  A shiver went through me and memories engulfed me. I shut my eyes quickly to tried to ban them from my memory.

  "Don't thank me for it. I'm not the one who got you out," I said and Nile shrugged.

  "If you hadn't let them catch you then Darwin and the rest of them wouldn't have known exactly where to go. I think you kind of were the one that got me out," Nile said and then turned his head, indicating the end of the conversation.

  Kyle, Miranda, Van, Ashley and Trent came outside and I realized just how few of us there were. Just how many people we have lost along the way.

  Nobody said anything as we walked in the dead silent night. Every now and then we would have to kill some zombies or go around a large group of them but as the night darkened it was like everyone was afraid to say something.

  I stopped suddenly. There was that feeling again. Something was wrong. Nobody noticed that I had stopped and they kept walking.

  I looked around and saw a flash of light that looked like light shining off of eyes.

  I had my knife out instantly but by the time I had it out the eyes were gone. I looked around slowly, searching for the thing but found nothing.

  I came to the conclusion that I was just paranoid and I kept walking but didn't put my knife away. I ran to catch up with my group and was happy when they didn't ask what I had just done.

  We walked for another few minutes and absolute blackness settled around us. I still had a bad feeling and finally gave in and stopped again. I looked around in the pitch blackness. My heart pounded faster and I opened my mouth to breath easier.

  I felt a hand on my shoulder and I spun around and kicked the person's legs out from underneath of them. I was over them and had my knife to their neck instantly and using my weight to keep them under me.

  The person wiggled under me and tried to get out but I kept them down. I grabbed the small flashlight that was in my pocket and took a moment of hesitation before turning it on and shining it on the person. Instead of getting a thorough examination of the person I saw a dark shape sprinting towards me and I shone the light on the person.

  All I saw before the sprinter tackled me off of the other person was a CIA emblem.

  I rolled on the ground with the person and tried to gain control of him. A fist rammed into my stomach and I gasped for air. I kicked out strongly and the other person yelled loudly. Ball shot.

  "X?!" Nile yelled and I opened my mouth to yell back but a fist slammed into my face and I fell forwards onto my stomach, my face on the hard gravel.

  "Parks isn't going to like that we attacked an innocent bystander," the man holding my hands behind my back said and my mouth dropped open. They didn't know I was me.

  "She might have information we need," the guy that I had attacked earlier said.

  "I don't know what you guys want with me but I don't know anything!" I said as innocently as possible, giving up my struggles.

  "We just need to ask you a few questions," the man holding me down said quietly, almost like he was trying to soothe me.

  "Do you know who or where Astrix Richards is?" the other man asked.

  "No! Well I know who she is but I don't know where she is," I said quickly, acting scared.

  I felt the tension lighten from the person holding me and I took advantage of it. I kicked upwards and nailed the person in the stomach. He let go and I jumped up quickly and took off in the direction of where Nile's voice was.

  "Kyle?" I asked quietly as I got to where he was probably standing. "Ashley? Miranda?"

  "Astrix!" Kyle said loudly and I threw my hand over his mouth quickly. One of the men yelled loudly as they heard my name and I heard approaching footsteps.

  I shoved Kyle behind his hiding spot he had and followed closely. The footsteps stopped right outside of the withered but dense mass of branches we were hiding by.

  "That's the last time I ever believe a common girl. She was probably bitten too," the man that I had attacked said with disgust.

  "Wow, I'm sorry that you had to come in contact with someone outside of the CIA headquarters. Not all of us are hidden by a life of luxury," the man that had been holding me said sourly.

  "Shut up. Let's just find Astrix and her gang," the other man said and then they walked back the way they had come.

  "Sorry," Kyle said quietly and I glared at him.

  "Never yell my name that loud when people are swarming everywhere!" I said angrily, "Where's everyone else?"

  "They'll be at the meeting place. I told them to go ahead," Kyle said and I huffed in suppressed anger.

  "Excellent," I said and started walking to the meeting spot. Kyle didn't try talking to me after that, we just walked through the darkness for ten minutes until we reached the house.

  "Astrix there you are!" Miranda said as I entered the small house. She attacked me with a hug and I winced a little. My side hurt from when the guy punched me.

  "Yeah, Miranda if you don't mind I'm going to go get some sleep," I said and she nodded slowly. I left the room and choose a small room with two beds in it. Nile was already asleep in one. I crossed the room and flopped down on the other one. I shut my eyes and dreaded the next day when I had to open them.

-----

A/N

Yeah, so believe it or not, we are nearing the ending of this book. Then I might stop posting for a while. I do have six other stories that are ready for the first chapter to be published but I don't know which one I'm going to start with...

So yeah. But for now there are some more chapters left so let's enjoy it while we can!