Chapter 9: Backstories

After I was told I could stay, Ashley and I got some food. I had gotten a can of pears and Ashley got a can of mandarins. We were sitting on the floor in the place that they had made their sleeping spot and talking.

  "I don't understand how you have been alone that long. No one to watch your back, no one to keep you sane, and no one to talk to," Ashley said.

  I nodded. "Yeah it was hell," I mumbled. I shoved a mouthful of food into my mouth.

  "How many zombies did you face?" Ashley asked with round eyes.

  "I don't know Ash, probably hundreds," I said. Yeah probably about 200. Maybe even more.

  "Holy shit. Do you think your friends are still alive?" Ashley asked. I know she didn't mean to, but just mentioning my friends brought tears to my eyes.

  I shook my head and sighed. There was no way they could still be alive. It seemed like I was with the last people on earth at the moment. I had to face the facts for once. They were gone.

  "I'm sorry. We're they close?" Ashley asked putting a hand on my shoulder.

  "Uh... Yeah. Really close actually," I said. Those guys were practically my family, and now they are gone.

  "Yeah. We had two other people with us a month or so ago. My mom and my best friend. My mom had been bitten, but we didn't know so when she finally turned she bit my best friend. My brother had to shoot my mom and then my best friend. He didn't want to take any chances," Ashley said. Tears were in her eyes and her story brought tears to my eyes. No matter how bad I thought I had it, she had it worse. She had to see her brother shoot her mom and friend after her mom had turned and bitten her best friend. Yeah holy shit I'd take my sob story any day.

  "Oh Ashley," l said. I wrapped her in a hug and she broke down. It was kind of like when I would break down for that first month of being alone just three was more pain then there was terror.

  "Are we interrupting something?" a voice asked behind me. I turned and saw Trent's friend and dad.

  "No. No you're fine," I said. Ashley and I broke apart. Ashley wiped her eyes with her sleeves.

  "I'm Jeff. This is Van," Trent's dad said.

  "Astrix," I said in response.

  "Yeah we know," Van said smiling.

  "Right," I said with a curt nod. Well of course they knew. Why wouldn't they.

  "Jeff wanted to know if you wanted some fighting techniques for the zombies," Van said.

  "Oh thanks but no thanks. My fighting techniques are pretty up to date," I said. I didn't think that I needed any work on my techniques.

  "I insist. I was MMA fighter so I know some stuff," Jeff said. "I want to see your techniques at least. Let's practice in the morning?"

  "Uh... sure?" I said unsure.

  "Okay great," Jeff said turning and walking away.

  After a moment of Van starting at me he said, "Wow a girl. That's amazing," Van said.

  "Excuse me?" I asked almost choking on the pear I was eating.

  "Well I haven't seen a girl for three months!" Van said.

  "Yeah ok I see where you're going with this. I do have a boyfriend, sweetheart," I said sarcastically.

  "So? I didn't say I want to get together I just said-," Van started but Ashley cut him off.

  "Get lost Van!" she said. Van snorted and walked away.

  "You have a boyfriend?" Ashley asked as soon as Van was out of hearing range.

  "No, I was just using my dead one as an example," I said sighing.

  "Oh," was all Ashley said.

  "Lights out girls!" Trent said walking in and laying on the pile of blankets and sheets right by me. I gladly laid down and the lights flicked off. I heard Van and Jeff come in and lay down.

  I listened to the steady breaths of everyone. It felt amazing to hear actual people again. To fall asleep with other people around me. To not be alone.

  I fell asleep with a smile on my face. If all else failed I could always stay with these guys. That didn't sound too bad. I slipped slowly into unconsciousness.