Chapter 35: Working Together

"Cory you ass-!" I said quickly and an arm went around my throat.

  "I don't think you want to do that," Cory said. There was something in his eyes. Something I had never seen in anyone's eyes except for...

  "Where's Felix, Cory?" I choked out and kicked at Cory.

  Cory tightened his grip and I struggled to breath.

  "How did you know about Felix?" Cory asked. There was that terrifying look in his eyes. That look that made me stop fighting. That look that meant murder.

  "I'm not-" I choked out. It was a weak gasp. "That dumb."

  "Damn it. It doesn't matter. You're the only one that knows he is still alive. So that won't matter soon," Cory said with an evil smirk.

  "Think of the group," I said. My voice was starting to get weak and my struggles to breathe became weaker.

  "I don't care about anyone but Morgan, Miranda, and Kyle. Even Kyle hates me now though so he doesn't matter. And I guess the girls do too," Cory said. He dropped me and I sucked in fresh air. I felt cold metal touch my side.

  "Cory don't. What did I do to you?" I asked, frantically trying to get my thoughts together as I gasped air.

  "I don't understand what Kyle sees in you. I don't understand why it was a big deal after you disappeared. I don't understand why we didn't get over it like we got over Victoria!" Cory yelled and the knife cut into my side a little.

  That's when pure realization hit me. "Victoria. You liked her?" I asked.

  Cory looked away and looked back. The murderous look had turn stone cold, which was even more terrifying, and he struggled for words.

  "I didn't just like her. I felt like what we had was like you and Kyle. Kyle knew that. But he didn't care. He insisted we get over Victoria and when you disappeared, he was a wreck. He was dying inside. So where the girls. But we were over Victoria in a day! A day, Astrix!" Cory yelled again. I was surprised that nobody had heard us. Then again it was two a.m. and Cory had gotten me outside.

  "Cory, that wasn't my fault!" I said, pure desperation to stop Cory from slicing my side open.

  "Since we found out you were alive, everyone has gotten over everything. Just like that. At least when we thought you were dead they talked about Victoria! So I'm going to see how much pain I can cause by killing you, right here, right now. Nobody will know it was me," Cory said and for a moment I swear I felt eyes staring into my back.

  "Felix, I know you're there," I said after a moment of hesitation. I regretted it as soon as I said it because I felt a hand on my shoulder.

  "Why hello there, monster. Long time no see," Felix mused. He limped in front of me and that's when I realized he never recovered correctly from the bullet wound.

  "Hey punk," I mumbled and I felt the knife slice into blood vessels. I gritted my teeth.

  "I can't believe you two. Well, Felix I can believe but didn't I injure you enough?" I mocked. Felix's fist hit my head harder than I expected, and I fell onto my stomach and spit blood onto the ground. Cory was holding the knife above my head now.

  "Cory, please. Put the knife down," I said weakly through the blood in my mouth.

  "I'm sorry Astrix. This isn't how I wanted it to work but it's how it has to happen-,"

  The door to the house swung open and I saw the knife fly from Felix's hand before I figured out who it was.

  "No-!" I yelled and something hard rammed into the back of my head. I yelled out in pain, seeing a flash of red in my eyes. I laid on the ground, unmoving and watched as two people walked to the body that lay on the ground.

  "Well, you aren't who I wanted to kill and I definitely need to work on my aim," Felix said. I tried to move my head to see who it was but a dull jolt of pain flew through me.

  "What about Astrix?" Cory asked and he made eye contact with me.

  "With that kind of head injury? It won't take long until she's unconscious," Felix said and he walked through the door of the building. Cory was still watching me.

  "Cory," I said quietly. A flash of guilt crossed his face and he turned and walked through the door. With that, the last string of hope I had, disappeared.

  "Astrix?" A weak voice said. With all of my strength I looked at the body.

  "Miranda," I said, horrified. There was a pool of blood around her from a wound under her chest.

  "I don't want to die," Miranda said quietly.

  "You won't," I said. My voice was wavering a little.

  That's when the gunshots sounded from inside. My head had slowed to a dull throb and I willed myself to get up. I finally was able to stand up and instantly fell against the wall of the building. I shook out my head and grabbed the gun out of my belt. I made my way along the wall to the door and pushed inside. Gunshots fired throughout the living room and Cory and Felix were shooting at Darwin and Nile. I had the perfect shot to take out Cory but hesitated.

  I really didn't want to shoot Cory. As bad as he had done. It felt wrong. So I lifted my gun.

  "Cory move," I yelled over the gunshots. The shots stopped and Cory, Felix, Nile, and Darwin looked at me.

  "Astrix get out of here," Darwin said quietly but I didn't budge.

  "Cory. Move. Now," I said through gritted teeth. Felix glared into the back of Cory's head. Cory looked at me with big, brown, amazing eyes. Through my desperate eyes I saw him as, not what I should have seen him as, but as a high school student, waiting for the time to tick away on a Friday.

  Cory gave one brisk nod and dove out of the way. Felix must have been waiting for this because we were both holding guns at each other, and they both went off at the same time.

-----

A/N

Yup, I did just bring Felix back. You're welcome Felix lovers.