Chapter 13: Birthday Gone Wrong

"Astrix? Have you been awake all night?" I heard Ashley ask. I turned around and saw her rub her eyes. Her usual wavy blonde hair was a mess.

  "Uh, yeah. Just keeping watch," I said casually. I stood up and stretched.

  "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Nile yelled at me as he walked past Ashley and I. I shook my head and kicked him.

  "It's your birthday? Why didn't you tell me?" Ashley asked. I shrugged.

  "Well then happy birthday," Ashley said. I sighed. I wasn't in the mood to hear that all day. I just wanted to kill zombies and continue my wander around town.

  "Hey so I'm going for a walk around town. I didn't get to finish it the other day and I need to stretch my legs," I said. I turned towards the door.

  "I'm going with. I'm not used to being cooped up in a building for this long," Nile said. I nodded and we made our way out the door.

  We didn't talk for a while we just walked and enjoyed the silence. There weren't any zombies in sight or other people. It was almost scary.

  We found a small weapons shop after walking for half an hour. We went inside. I expected there to be little to no weapons in there but I was wrong. The shelves were full of different weapons. I went to the knife rack and found myself three knives that were bigger than my other ones. Nile found a compact bow and about thirty arrows. I grabbed a couple pistols. Little guns were my kind of thing.

  After we had stocked up on weapons we made our way to a Kmart that was in the area. We both needed new clothes since the clothes we had on were blood stained and torn. I grabbed a pair of jeans, a black tank top, a navy blue shirt, and a black zip up hoodie. I also grabbed a different pair of shoes.

  "Alright, you want to head back?" Nile asked after we had each changed.

  "Sure," I said. I was actually having fun with Nile. We had been pushing each other into stuff and dueling with fencing sticks.

  "Alright, let's go," He said. I could tell that he didn't really want to go either. We had felt like normal teenagers for a while.

  We made our way back the way we had come. When we were about halfway there I felt the wind of something go by my head followed by a loud noise.

  "Gunshots," Nile whispered. That was enough to get me to start running towards the grocery store. I heard more loud noises and heard the noise when a bullet hit the ground or a tree.

  "Run faster!" I yelled back to Nile. He immediately caught up to me. I looked away from the path we were running to where the bullets where coming from. I saw a wisp of brown hair turn a corner as soon as I looked.

  When I looked back at the path there were three people that also had guns. Nile and I stopped abruptly.

  "Who the bloody hell are you?" One of the three men asked.

  "We are just passing through," Nile said trying to coax the people to let us go.

  "Nile? Is that you? That's what you said last time you came through our part of town. Who is she? I've never seen her before," a woman said behind us. She must have been the shooter because she had the same brown hair and a sniper strapped over her shoulder.

  "Purdita?" Nile asked looking at the girl. I didn't turn my eyes away from the three men in front of us who still had their guns pointed at us.

  "We were just trying to get to the other end of town. Honest. We won't bother you again," Nile said looking from Purdita to the three men.