Chapter 47: The Hour Journey

"For the love of everything holy, I swear I'm going to kill everything and everyone who dares to cross me right now!" I heard Nile yell loudly and I rolled my eyes and sat up on my bed. It was only six in the morning and already Nile was having a hissy fit.

  "Nile, nobody cares," Kyle said crossly. He was probably still royally pissed off about my plan and the day before he realized that Cory had disappeared.

  "YOU SIR WILL BE THE FIRST TO DIE!" Nile yelled at Kyle as I walked into the room. Nile was standing in the middle of the room, glaring at Kyle, who was lying on the couch with his hands behind his head and his eyes closed.

  "Nile, what now?" I asked, exasperated.

  "Someone, took. My. Last. Candy bar," Nile said and I raised an eyebrow.

  "Yep, he's lost it," Kyle said with a sigh.

  "NO I HAVE NOT, I HAD ONE MORE SNICKERS BAR LEFT AND NOW IT'S GONE!"

  "Has it ever occurred to you that your hungry ass MIGHT have eaten it?" Kyle asked with a smirk.

  Nile didn't respond, he just glared at Kyle angrily. I took my chance and quickly ran into the kitchen.

  "Would you make them shut up!?" Trent asked, rubbing his face. Miranda and Ashley were also in there.

  "I tried, and unfortunately, it's not going to happen," I said with a sigh. Kyle and Nile had basically been fighting the last two days.

  "We need them to cooperate with each other! We have to leave for the coast tonight and those asses aren't helping any of us," Trent said and glared at the door to the living room.

  I opened my eyes a little wider. I completely forgot that we had to leave for the coast in a few hours. I also completely forgot that tomorrow we had to fight again. Hopefully to end this thing forever.

  "Where's Darwin and Van?" I asked. Mainly I just wanted to talk to Darwin more than anything.

  "Van is still asleep and Darwin left earlier," Ashley said and I looked at her.

  "Left to where?" I asked and swung my head towards the door.

  "He just said he needed fresh air and he'd be back before we left," Ashley said and panic started to engulf me.

  "Astrix, he'll be back before we leave. He's a CIA agent," Miranda said and I lowered my gaze to the floor.

  "That's what scares me."

*

*

*

*

*

  "Darwin isn't back," I said, voicing the most obvious things ever. We needed Darwin. Without him our odds dropped incredibly.

  Nobody said anything. We were supposed to leave thirty minutes earlier but we had agreed to wait and see if Darwin was just late.

  "We need to leave," Kyle said and looked out the window. We were an hour walk from the coast and the sun was starting to advance towards the horizon quicker.

  "But-"

  "If he's not back yet there's a reason. And if he comes back and sees us gone he knows where we went," Nile said, "Now we have to go. Zombies get more energetic when it gets dark."

  I felt a shiver go through me but I nodded. I grabbed my pack full of supplies and some of our remaining deer meat and went outside.

  I leaned against the house and shut my eyes for a moment. Tomorrow was our last chance to get rid of the people that wanted to get rid of us. If we messed up there was no way we could get the CIA into another trap like this. This was it.