Chapter 1: The Beginning

I was sitting in my last period class. There were ten minutes left until we could all go home for the weekend. Thank God for that. I was sitting by my best friend, Miranda. She had bright red hair that was beautiful in the sunlight and bright blue eyes. She was tapping her foot anxiously and kept looking at the clock. This was normal for her though since she did the same thing every single Friday. Then again, there was a very small amount of kids who didn't.

"Hey, will you calm down please? You will have your weekend soon," I said with a smile. Miranda hated school with a passion. It was kind of funny to see her like this on Fridays.

"Not soon enough," she huffed impatiently, "I just want to get out of this hell hole."

I smiled and shook my head with amusement. I had known Miranda my whole life and she never ceases to amuse me. It was like I was enthralled with everything she did, even if I had seen her do then a million times before.

Suddenly there was an announcement over the intercom telling the school that there was an emergency lock down taking place. Everyone kind of looked at each other with surprised and confused faces for a minute. This had never happened before. Sure, we had practiced what to do but we had never had to apply that practice to a real life situation. Finally our teacher, Mr. Shalagowski, got us all to snap out of our dazes and go to the back of the classroom. We sat down on the floor and huddled together. There was definitely not enough space for twenty five Sophomores against the wall, but of course we had to make it work.

Miranda was sitting by me mumbling about how "It wasn't fair" and "there were only a few minutes left of school" I almost wanted to laugh but realized that would probably be a bad idea assuming that whatever put us under lock down had ears. I guess it would be inappropriate.

Crash.

"What the hell was that?" One of the kids to my right whispered. He was immediately shushed by Mr. Shalagowski. Obviously he didn't believe things had ears.

I heard some of the kids start to breath harder. One girl even started to break down and cry. I could tell something was wrong. The air was too still, the room was too quiet, and everyone around me was tense. I felt tense too and my breathing was a little ragged. I was trying to control the panic that was rising in me. Miranda was looking at the door wide eyed. Like she expected someone, or something, to come barging in.

Then I heard a scream come from the hallway. A blood curtailing scream. We waited in silence for a few seconds. Then we heard another scream. This time coming from a girl.

"Holy Shit. We. Are. Going. To. Die," I whispered, staggering my words without intention. I saw some kids look at me and their eyes widened. I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself. If someone wasn't calm, no one would be.

BAM. The door to our classroom shook. Someone was pounding against it, trying to get inside. I clenched my fists hard in anticipation.

I felt Miranda grab my arm and she drew in a rattling breath. Her nails dug into my arm but I didn't react. I wasn't breathing or moving. I just sat frozen.

BAM. Calm down. Everything is going to be okay.

BAM. Miranda squeezed my arm tighter.

BAM. Now all of the kids in the class started to panic.

BAM. The door was starting to break off of it's hinges. One more and whatever was out there would be in here.

And just like that, the door toppled down bringing into view, the attackers.

"Are those . . . ?" Miranda started but she was cut off instantly by screaming and running kids.