24. twenty four

chapter twenty four • 24
↠ ↠ ↠

chapter twenty four • 24↠ ↠ ↠

"You're not alone, Jean,"

•••

The year of 1975, the year we met our Jean Grey. A young, terrified girl who just lost her parents in a car accident. Her powers growing stronger, and afraid who she'll hurt next, or what she'll break. Something Natalie knows more about than anyone, so her and Charles decided to go help her, and hope to bring her back to the school. A place she can call home.

A nurse let Charles and Natalie into the room were Jean was kept.
"Hello," Charles wearily smiled at the young girl.

"Where are my parents?" Jean asked.

Charles sighed, "My name is Charles Xavier, and this is,"

"Natalie Parker -" Natalie went before Jean cut her off.

"They're dead, aren't they?" Jean quietly asked. Charles looked at Natalie before responding.

"Yes, they are," Natalie sighed quietly, "and I'm very sorry to have to tell you that,"

"So, what happens to me now?" Jean asked, not even looking at the two adults.

Charles took a breath, "That's why we're here, actually." Jean looked at him, "You see, I have a school, that is for young people, who are like you. Special."

"Special is just a nice word for -" Jean sighed, as if she's heard this before.

"Weird or crazy? Yep. Yep, sometimes it is," Charles agreed. "Or, sometimes it can be a word that is used to describe people who are significant, or amazing or just - just really cool." Charles smiled softly at her. "You've got gifts, Jean." Charles started to take a pen out of his pocket within his jacket. "You know what? Take this pen? Right -" Charles started to wheel himself closer to Jean. "It's something that - Well actually, just take it." He handed the pen to her. "It's a gift,"
"Now, you could choose to draw a really good picture with that - or - you could use it to poke someone's eyes out. But either way, it's still just a pen, it's a gift." Natalie looked at Charles, and softly smiled. "And what you choose to do with your gift, is entirely up to you. But if you want to use it to do good stuff, well we can help," He looked up at Natalie, then back at Jean.

"You're not like the other doctors," Jean looked at them both. Natalie bent down in front of Jean.

"And you're not like the other patients," She sweetly smiled at Jean. "Hold out your hand for me, Jean."
Jean slowly rested the back of her hand on Natalie's palm. Natalie covered Jeans hands with both of hers. "What's your favourite flower?" Natalie smiled warmly at her.

"Lilies,"

Natalie looked down and formed a small lily in the palm of Jean's hand, softly tickling her palm as it grew. Natalie let go of Jean, and she looked down. A small smile grew on Jean's face.

"You're not alone, Jean. You never will be." Natalie placed the lily in Jean's hair.

•••

Jean stood at the front door of the Xavier School, looking up at its overwhelming presence. Natalie wheeled Charles over to Jean.
"What do you think?" Natalie asked as she looked at her.

"I can't stay here," Jean shook her head.

"Okay. Why not?" Charles looked at her, and held his hands.

"It's too nice," Jean looked down and sighed. "I - I break things,"

Charles wheeled a little closer, "Well, how does this sound: If you break something, anything, I can fix it."

"Not anything," Jean shook her head.

"We can help you," Natalie looked at her. "We can help you so that you never have to break things, ever again."

"You think you can fix me too," Jean looked down.

Natalie walked over and bent down in front of her and held her hands. "No - No, because you are not broken, you just need a helping hand to lead in the right direction."

Jean softly smiled at them both, knowing that she could place her trust into Natalie and Charles.

•••

- only a small chapter as it's an introduction to the rest of the book. the next chapters will be longer, I promise.
I am so excited for this book as we'll be digging a little deeper into dark natalie as we encounter dark Phoenix.
For me, this is more than Jean's story, but a part of Natalie's too.

I hope y'all are ready for this