0. prologue

chapter zero • 0
↠ ↠ ↠

chapter zero • 0↠ ↠ ↠

"What have I done?"

•••

Stamford, New York

1904

Natalie was 5 years old when she discovered her ability, and from that day on, everything went downhill.

Natalie was in the garden, in her back yard, her mother was inside, baking cookies, while her father was at work. Natalie was sitting down, playing in the grass and she grabbed a handful of dirt and looked at it and tiny green vines started growing out then a small beautiful daisy appeared as the dirt fell through her fingers. She didn't understand what that meant, and it didn't bother Natalie, only made her more curious.

•••

Natalie always thought she was different growing up. She was born with brown hair with a green streak that never went away. When Natalie turned 6, her hair slowly turned to an ice blue, and her green streak faded slightly, Natalie's mother and father took her to as many doctors as they could afford but no one understood what was happening and presumed it was a genetic abnormality. That's when she discovered she could control and create water, ice and snow. When Natalie turned 10, her hair went to silver white, the green streak faded a bit more to a green-blue, that's when she started to discover that she could control the air and weather. Natalie's father and mother grew frightened of Natalie. When she turned 15, her hair went fiery red, and the green streak went to a yellowy-green. This is when she could control and create fire, to manipulate it. Natalie's father died in a house fire which she didn't know she started. Natalie's mother hated her? blamed her for everything. That's when Natalie found comfort in a close friend.

Natalie's hair returned to brown when she turned 20, that's when Natalie ran away with her fiancée and they eloped. His name was Chester White, he knew very well about her ability, he loved Natalie anyway, and they were married for 20 years. They had 2 children, Hayden and Nadia. Nadia was 12 and Hayden was 9. Natalie realised that at least one of their children would develop mutations, and one did. Nadia, she was 7 at the time and she had the ability to create and manipulate force fields.

•••

One day, Hayden was at his school camp, Nadia confronted Natalie with some information which any parent would dread to hear. Natalie's son was being abused by a teacher at camp. Natalie was sceptical at first, she was sure that Hayden would tell her, but then again, any kid would be embarrassed to tell anyone or even terrified of traumatised.

Natalie drove to his camp, it was a large bush campsite, there were children playing games, there were cabins and tents set up in various locations. She found the office and asked to see the teacher that was being accused of abusing her son.