9. nine

chapter nine • 9
↠ ↠ ↠

"nineteen seventy-three"

•••

The school was a big hit. They had a lot of students, Charles made Natalie a teacher, she enjoyed every day of it. But like all good things, it came to an end within the year. One by one, each of the men left. Sean was first, and as each man left, it took a toll on Natalie. But losing Alex, that broke her. Within a couple of years after Cuba, they fell in love, and got engaged. Before he left they decided to call off the wedding, until he came back. Hopefully.

•••

They shut down the school, and Charles got Hank to create a serum used by Natalie's DNA to make Charles walk. Natalie wasn't strong enough to heal him, but her DNA helped him temporarily walk. He had daily doses. But there were days were it was too unbearable for him, she sat by his side night after night, helping him.

Until one day he got a better friend. Alcohol.

•••

It was late morning, Natalie sat on the edge of her bed, looking over at a photo of Alex and her.

"God I hope he's okay."

She sat up and got changed into a long white skirt and green loose flowy shirt. She tied her hair up into a bun and took a breath.

SMASH!

"Hank?" She called out.

Natalie quickly walked over to the stairs and saw Hank hanging from the roof.

"What the hell is going on here?" Natalie folded her arms as she stood on the banister. "Who are you?" Natalie asked the guy who was on the table.

"Name's Logan," He started to sit up. Then looked shocked when he saw her.

"Natalie?" Logan spoke. Her eyes widened.

"How do you know -"

"Hank? Nat? What's happening?" Charles asked as he made his way over.

"Just a trespasser," Natalie replied.

"Professor?" Logan asked.

"Don't call me that," Charles responded taking a sip from his cup.

"What? You know this guy?" Hank asked.

"He looks somewhat familiar," Charles slurred.

"Get the bloody hell off the chandelier, Hank," Natalie ordered.

Hank jumped off.

"You can walk?" Logan asked.

"Well, you're a perceptive one," Charles sat down on a stair.