20: No Sign

The next day in school I part ways with Sebastian and head for my first class, Chemistry. The class passes as usual or at least I think it does because when I start to get up from my seat Ben grabs hold of my arm and tells Ash that he'll catch up with him.

The laboratory empties quickly as the students head to their next classes or to meet friends. When we're finally alone Ben turns to me and asks, "Are you okay?"

I put on a brave face at breakfast for everyone else but now having someone confront me makes me shake my head as tears stream down my cheeks.

"Hazel." Ben whispers as I wrap my arms around his waist and cry out my fears of last night.

"Ben, I'm so scared." I cry as he tightens his arms around me.

"Scared of what?" He asks.

I hiccup as I answer, "Adam."

"Adam?" He asks, confused as he pulls away to look at me and I nod.

Without a moment's hesitation I tell him the events from last night, not leaving out anything. That's just how Ben and my friendship is.

"But he didn't try to force you, did he?" Ben confirms.

I shake my head, "He didn't even move when I left. He just stayed where he was."

"You have to break up with him." Ben says in the end.

"I'm probably just being paranoid." I sigh, looking down at my hands.

"Hazel, it's better to be safe than sorry." Ben reminds me.

I get up from my seat and grab my backpack, "We have History with Adam now. I'll just talk to him after class and sort this out."

We get to class just before the bell rings, announcing the commencement of second period but Adam isn't in his class. Neither does he show up during class time. I have swim practice in my free third period so I don't get to look for him but he doesn't appear in the cafeteria for lunch break either.

When I run into Ben after school in the parking lot, he asks, "Did you get a chance to talk to him?"

"No. I don't think he's in school today." I sigh as I hand my backpack to the waiting driver.

"That's strange. He was there for soccer practice right after lunch break and I have Physics with him, he was in that class too." Ben tells me.

"I think he's avoiding me." I lean against my car.

"Who's avoiding you?" Sebastian asks, walking up to us.

"Uhh..." I blank out but Ben quickly adds, "Liam. Hazel made fun of his new shoes."

"Seriously Hazel?" Sebastian rolls his eyes at me as he walks past me and gets into the car.

"Thank you." I whisper and give Ben a hug before getting into the car too.