Chapter One

It all started in early August in the year 2010; the 5th to be exact. I was walking to my first hour when a frail body ran into mine.

"I'm sorry! Really! I didn't see you there!" A black haired boy was bowing low from the waist as he apologized, and I felt a kind smile light my face.

"Get up. There is no need to apologize. Accidents happen all the time and this was just one of them." He lifted his head and beamed a lovely, bright smile as wide, baby blue eyes stared back at me.

"Thank you, sir! I'm Stefan Berger. You must be new here. What's your name?" He pushed a slender hand towards me for a handshake, and I took it warmly.

"I'm Kylan Ackermann. Nice to meet you, Stefan. And thank you. I'm glad to have come here, especially since I now know a kind soul like you attends this majestic building." I looked at my wrist watch, eyes widening as I noticed the time. "It seems time has flown by. Is there anyway you could lead me to Miss Faye's room? I do believe first hour is Biology with her, am I correct in that assumption?"

Stefan nodded as he said, "Yeah, you are. She's my first hour as well. She doesn't give homework the first day because of policy reasons I'm sure, but I should warn you and say she can be a bit -overwhelming- the first time you meet her, but she's an awesome teacher. I like her, and she is honestly my favorite class of the day. Uhm, can I compliment something without trying to sound rude? It ain't my intention, honest, it's just that it was something I noticed while talking with you."

I froze in my tracks, eyes widening in fear. Were my canines showing? Were my eyes red? I just fed last night; I shouldn't feel hungry. Actually, I don't, so what is wrong?

"Wh...what is it?"

The boy smiled shyly. "The way you speak is like the way people used to talk in the 1800 and 1900s. It's very modern and uncommon to hear someone speak in that form. It's interesting and I like it."

I sigh a breath of relief, glad it was just the way I spoke and smiled. "Thank you. My family was always wealthy and I guess I just started to speak in the way my father did. It's a terrible habit I've picked up, but I wouldn't change it if I could. It's a reminder of what I've lost and conquered."

Stefan blanched lightly, eyes surprised and mouth hung open slightly in 'o'. "What did you lose?"

"My family. I lost my father and I watched my mother get killed in front of me. My sister was never seen after. They all have a gravestone but I know my sister is alive. I just won't accept that she's dead. She can't be because I heard her in the walls and I didn't see her body in her room. There is only one thing that could have happened." The last part I whispered, half-hoping and half not that he had not heard it, but with the intent of shedding that last bit of hope out into the open.

"Wow. I'm-I'm so sorry. Who do you live with if your family is gone?"

"Alone. I have for the past year."

Actually 350 years but you can't know that yet. YET.

"Oh. Okay. What is your sister's name? Can you tell me about her?"

Since we were going to be awhile, I insisted we go to the roof. We sat on a bench and I started talking. "Her name was—IS—Aimi Ackermann. She has silky black hair down to her shoulders and beautiful black eyes that make them look like she stole some black jewels and replaced her eyes with them, just a little bit of blue mixed in. She was nine years old. We both were. She used to wear this ruby pendant I gave her when we adopted her because of what it meant. It was my acceptance and love for her. I loved her so much, I even promised to never leave her side. I'm not breaking that promise ever again when I find her again." Stefan had surprise and sorrow shining in his eyes accompanied with tears.