Prologue

Have you ever woken up one night just to see that both of your parents are dead, your little sister is missing and your best friend no longer wants to see you because of how much you changed from those occurrences and what had happened to you? I did. I was only nine years old and I witnessed my mother die before my very eyes. I woke to her screams and arrived in the kitchen to see someone biting her neck. I tried to stab them with a knife, but I was just a child then, and I wasn't near as strong as the man had been.

He had blond hair and blood red eyes that I swear had flashed to a light blue before returning to the blood-colored hues of death. He grabbed me by the hair and yanked, exposing my tanned throat. He bit into the dark skin, drawing a loud scream from me as a burning sensation flowed through my body. I struggled to get away, shaking my body as hard as my small, nine-year-old body could handle. I managed to get my arm free and I grabbed the closest thing near me, a broken chair leg I thought would be a perfect shank, and I stabbed forward hitting him in the shoulder. He released my neck and jumped back, a look of shock and fear etched in his eyes before he realized I missed.

I turned around and ran as fast as I could, never stopping until I could no longer hear the man's breathing. I stopped in an alleyway three blocks from my home and cuddled in a corner, wrapping my arms around my knees and crying loudly as my body continued to burn so intensely, I seriously thought I was dying. Well, in a way I was.

I woke up the next morning with this insane need to feed. Though I wasn't thinking of human food, I was thinking of human blood! I thought I was going insane, but then a man walked into the alley swaying from side to side. As if he were drunk. I sniffed the air, and sure enough he was. But I wasn't entranced by the smell of thick alcohol, it was his blood that drew me in. He smelled so sweet. I wanted nothing more than to jump him and drain him dry. Which is exactly what I did. But I didn't do it right away; I waited until he was a few feet from me before I pounced hitting him in the head with a rock and instantly knocking him out, much to my delight and dismay.

I moved his head to the side and bit into his neck, sucking the sweet, sweet nectar running through his veins. When he was empty, I released him and backed up, head finally cleared as my eyes went from the dark red of hunger to one hue being blue and the other bright green. I looked at my bloody hands in horror before I ran out, running through crowded streets and ignoring people's expressions of pity and shock.

I hid, finding an abandoned warehouse on the outskirts of town. I slept on an old blanket, and for years I stayed there, only ever leaving to feed. I noticed I was still growing but stopped when I reached the age of nineteen. I cried when I passed the graveyard and found the graves of my mother, father and sister, though I had not even seen her body.

I traveled around, joining schools and getting multiple 'lovers' from each of them. I took little blood from them without harming them, creating a bond, turning them, or messing their brains until they were left mind slaves. I took maybe a max two pints in all, small doses.

I finally decided to leave my home country and fly over to England where I thought I would be safer, and have a better food source. I landed in England and stayed there for a century. By then I was reaching 250-years-old. I had stayed in Germany until I turned 150, but deemed it dangerous when I kept running into rogues. I may have made some mad by invading their 'territory' and maybe I ate from their 'food sources', so I ran to the one place I knew didn't have vampyres, if the rumours I heard were true. I stayed in England alone for a century and then to Italy. I even visited Japan. I stayed in Italy 50 years making me 300, then Japan another 50 setting me into 350 years old. By the beginning of the 21st century, I landed myself in Missouri, USA. I stayed there for ten years before I decided to start school in the year 2010 when I was 390 years old.

I should come out and say I was born the eighteenth of April in the year 1620. I was born into the wealthiest family in Berlin, Germany. I was the heir to the hospital my dad owned, as well as the one expected to marry and have a healthy baby boy to be my successor like I was to my father.

I entered into the highschool there, becoming best friends with a small black haired boy named Stefan. I moved in with him and his grandfather after I learned how his parents snuck out of town for a date and never returned. They were found on the side of the road dead. When he told me about them with tears running heavily down his face and loud hicuppy sobs, I held him close to my chest rocking back and forth as I promised that I wouldn't let anyone hurt the small fairy. Not as long as I was alive.

Now we are both entering our senior years, him his first time and me my hundredth. I was an excellent student here even though a certain human, whom I like to call horse face because of the shape of his head, loved picking on me and calling me a nerd. Sometimes I wish I could just punch him in the face and tell him that I am only smart because I have been alive for hundreds of years and I had learned all this over and over.

Well, I think that's enough of my story. How would you all like to know how I met my soulmate? My destined? My one and only? My human mate? Then sit back, grab some tissues, snacks, beverages, a comfy pillow, and a nice, soft blanket. We are going to begin on my first day in my 'Junior' year of high school in Neosho High. Have fun and stay safe wherever you are.

☣☣☣☣☣
Song is On My Own by Ashes Remain.

L J