Chapter 14 - Wreckage

Start from the beginning

Instantly I feel my heart pounding in my chest, if they've found the drugs I'm done for, there is no way they're going to believe I didn't know my father had a building with a hundred thousand dollars' worth of drugs in it, I can lie all I like, I'll probably still get thrown in jail.

"Don't worry man, it's probably nothing." Markus says from next to me as my eyes follow the movements of the officers.

"What did you say to them?" I turn to him

"Exactly what you just told them, I was driving by and I saw the place on fire, I called you because it's your Dad's place and you were on your way. Man, come on, you know I'd never fuck you over."

"Because you're so trustworthy and all." I roll my eyes as I look back towards the officers.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" He screws his face up, only to catch on a second later. "Wait is this about me kissing Amity at the club the other night, is that why you're all pissed off with me."

"All I asked was for you to stay away from her." I remind him, my eyes still locked on the officers as I stand with my arms folded across my chest.

"You also said she isn't your type, you can't have it both ways." He raises a brow.

"Sir, can you come here a moment, please?" Officer Bradley waves me over.

Walking towards him, I keep my same cold, stony expression not wanting to give anything at all away. I need to look as calm and collected as possible if I have any chance at all of getting myself out of this mess.

"My officers found this, do you know who owns it?" He questions as he holds out a clear plastic baggie containing a large, square black lighter with a large stylized B in gold on the front of it.

I take a long look at it, burning the image into my head so I can research it later before shaking my head. "No, the only person I know who's name starts with B is my sister Brigette and I've been with her all day. She also wouldn't have a lighter, nor would she burn something down that already belongs to us."

"Right, we'll take it in or screening, and if we find any information on it, we will let you know." He says as he hands it back to the officer who had found it. "We're all done here, but if you have any further information, please don't hesitate to phone us." The officer nods his head before turning and walking away.

As I watch him walk towards the car, I let out a deep breath I didn't know I'd been holding in before turning on my heel walking back towards Ryan and Markus.

"What was it?" Ryan questions.

"They found a lighter with the letter B on it, it looked expensive." I rub my left hand on the left-hand side of cheek before letting out a sigh. "Thankfully, they found nothing other than that, and I don't think they'll look into it any further."

"Thank fuck." Ryan laughs softly, attempting to mask the worry in his voice.

"Have you been into the building?" I ask Markus.

"No man, I called the fire department right away, and the police came out with them, and wouldn't let me inside."

"I think we got lucky." I tell the boys as I turn back to the gravel road and watch as the final police officers leaves the scene and turn back to the boys. "Let's get in there and salvage."

With that last car now way off into the distance and no longer visible, I duck under the 'do not cross' tape, and head into the building. As I could already see from the outside, the inside it gutted and the only thing still in place are a few of the walls made of cement and the floor, everything else is in a pile of ashes on the ground.