Part Thirty: Chapter 226: It Begins

Jason's POV

When I woke up, I sat up on the side of the bed. I rub my eyes and yawn. My nose was clogged. I feel out for a tissue and blow my nose. It's always clogged up in the mornings. I throw the tissue away and look at the nightstand. Along the edge was an eight inch long line of cocaine laid out. I pick up a straw, my eyelids still heavy with sleep. I block off one side of my nose and lean over to the nightstand. I take a breath and vacuum up this mess that I left last night. I sit with my head back, snorting down air as my throat went numb.

I stand and walk out of my room and go to the kitchen. Alfred was there, helping the chef prepare lunch. "Good afternoon Master Joker sir, I decided to lend a hand," Alfred says cheerfully.

"You don't have to do that," I sigh.

"Yes sir, I know, but it helps kill the time. I've never been one to watch much television," he says.

I roll my eyes, "I'm sorry if my company bores you."

"You sir? Well you were sleeping," he says and looks down his nose at me. Just like he always used to when he points out something that should be obvious.

"Boss," comes Frost's voice from the doorway, "The Penguin is here to see you sir."

I nod and follow him into the living room. The Penguin was smiling at me and holding a bottle of scotch in one hand. "J, don't you look casual," he looks me over.

 "J, don't you look casual," he looks me over

I glance down at myself. I was in boxers and nothing else. I internally shake my head at myself. I'm pretty scatterbrained in the mornings. At least until I get going again with plenty of cocaine and scotch. Cobblepot walks over and gets two glasses. He opens the scotch he brought and pours each of us a glass. He hobbled over to me and extends one of the glasses out to me.

"I can see someone needs a little hair of the dog," he smirks and casually limps to the couch and makes himself right at home. I have to remind myself that he and J are friends. So his behavior wasn't out of place.

I gulp the scotch down and just help myself to some more of the scotch he brought. "So Oswald, what brings you by bearing gifts? Got bad news to break to me or something?" I ask as I fill my glass.

"Uh, no," he looks at me like I'm crazy...wait, I'm supposed to be crazy.

"Have I forgotten my birthday or something?" I take a drink.

"Have you?" He smiles at me.

"Cut the shit Pengy," I huff and take another gulp.

"Awe, am I getting on those fresh out of the bed nerves?" He taunts. I give him a glare of unamusement. "Fine, I'm here because I need someone to celebrate with."

"Oh? And what are we celebrating?" I ask.

"I made a very good deal that's going to be bringing in an unbelievable amount of cash. And as you know, what's good for me, is good for you too," he tips his glass at me and takes a sip.