Part Twenty-Nine: Chapter 214: Homefronts

Harley awoke to a knock at her door. She rolled over and looked to it. She yawns and stretches in the bed. It was so big and comfortable that she didn't want to get up. Wayne Manor was like a five star hotel. Which meant that was probably the butler, Alfred, with her breakfast on a real silver tray. The dishes always a fine China. The bathroom was marble.

When the knock is ignored Harley can hear the knob turning. She smiles, expecting Alfred, but it was Bruce who stuck a head in. "Harley?" He asks. She sits up in the bed and Bruce walks in. He stands by the bed and looks down at her, "Jason was here this morning," he tells her with a sigh. "He was looking for you. I took care of it though. I hope."

Harley's mouth parts and she looks to the window, "He coulda found me here," she almost whispers.

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

"No," Bruce is quick to say, "I wouldn't have let him."

Harley looks back to him and smiles, "Ya'd really do that? Fer me?"

"No," Bruce shakes his head, "I'm doing it for J."

Harley's smile fades. At first his words take her by surprise, but it wasn't really a surprise now, was it? She knew about her puddin and the bat's sexual trysts together. In all honesty, a part of her always thought Batman to be rather sanctimonious. He seemed too law abiding to ever dream of jumping into bed with the Joker. Maybe a tiny part of her hoped Mistah J was lying about them. But Bruce's words quickly tell her that he hadn't.

But then, Harley was also aware of the guilt Bruce harboured over the events that led up to Mistah J's chemical incident at Ace Chemicals. He blamed himself for the Joker falling. And since that day, Bruce had been trying to save him. He had been trying to help him for years. He'd tried to rehabilitate him several times, thinking it to be the best thing for the Joker. But then, if Bruce had never tried then the Joker wouldn't have been in Arkham. If he had never been sent there she would have never met him.

What was it about him that her puddin loved so much? Was it his dark hair with grey starting to show? Was it his big muscles? His vacant blue eyes? Or was it things that weren't visible to her? Like what was in his pants? Was it a purely physical obsession? Or was that dry personality? Did the bat show her Mistah J a side he showed no one else?

"Cuz yer in love with him? With my husband?" Harley asks him.

Bruce looks up at her, not knowing what to say. How much had J told her about them? He sighs, "You have nothing to worry about."

"Easy fer you ta say," Harley huffs.

"He loves you Harley, and I'm very happy for that. He's found contentment with you. He can have a future with you. He can be happy, and that's all I've ever wanted for him," Bruce looks down again as he thinks over his own words.

"Cuz ya love him?" Harley swallows. Bruce's eyes look up at her again, surprised by her words once more. He made no move to speak. Harley could see the conflict in his eyes. "It's ok. I know he loves ya. I know everything."

*J* (the continuation)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें