Part Forty: Chapter 300: Reaping What You Sow

The bus ride to the hotel seemed to take hours. None of them were really accustomed to public transportation. It was. It was quite cold outside, and wasn't much warmer on the bus. Every time it would make a stop a sigh would emit from each of them. There were things they needed to discuss, but regrouping was far more needed. They just wanted to get a room, warm up, and get a bite to eat. Then they would decide what needed to be done to alleviate their current situation.

The nearest stop to the hotel was four blocks away. But the wind and the falling snow made it seem as if it were ten. Smoke blew from their mouths as they breathed. Their coats all had hoods, which helped hold in a bit of body heat, not that they could tell. Their noses were red and running and every few seconds they could be heard sniffling.

Harley kicked a Coke can as she walked up on it. "Stupid freakin can! Where tha hell is that damn hotel?!" Harley shout out and kicked the can once again.

"J-just arrround the c-corner," Ace tried saying with chattering teeth.

"Thank God," Ivy mumbled, "I can't feel my toes."

"It's ok my love," Jester smiles at her with a rather unconvincing expression, "When we get a room we'll take a hot bath and get you all warmed up."

They approached the hotels front door. Ace reaches out and opens the door. They all go in and walk across a grand lobby to the front desk. They can't help but notice that the manager went rigid when his eyes fell on them. A moment after the initial shock subsided the man began shaking his head and taking a few steps backwards.

"I-I-I'm s-so sorry, N-no vacancy," he stutters.

They each stand at the counter. Harley takes it upon herself to do the talking.

 Harley takes it upon herself to do the talking

"Yeah right," she rolls her eyes. With a pause she sucks in her breath, "Why don't we cut tha bullshit mistah. I know ya know who we are. I bet one a Mistah J's clowns has already paid ya a visit. What he tell ya? Not ta rent a room ta us?"

The distraught manager can barely manage a head nod. Harley narrows her eyes and is about to give the poor guy a piece of her mind when Jester puts his hand up and stops her.

"Sir, I'm aware you're afraid of my brother, and I'm sure it's not without cause. I understand you fear what he'll do to you if you help us, but if you don't rent us a room we'll have nowhere to sleep tonight," he calmly says to the man.

"I-I-I humbly a-apologize s-s-sir, I-I really do, b-b-but I can't help you," the man says with his back against the wall behind him.

"It's below freezing out there," Jester says, "Do you have any idea what would happen to someone who was forced to sleep out there? I do know, because I'm a doctor. We'll die of hypothermia out there. Do you really want that on your conscience?"

The man looks down shaking his head, "They said they'd kill my children. They know where I live. I-I wish I could help you, I really do, b-b-but..."