File 42: The One with the Denial

-

Knock, knock, knock. - I turn over, rubbing the sleep from my tired eyes and staring at the closed door with curiosity. Without speaking a single word, the knob is slowly turned and the door is pushed open to let in the woman that I had been waiting for in the past month. She makes eye contact with me for second, shutting the door behind her and turning to press her back to the door with a timid smile.

"Hi," I pushed myself up to my elbows, "I didn't expect to see you in here tonight." I ruffled a hand through my unruly hair, pushing it to the side. She opens her mouth to say something, but lets out a breath instead of speaking, closing her eyes and leaning her head back, "Are you okay, is there something that you want to talk about? Ariana...?" I pushed the covers aside, kicking my legs over the side of the mattress.

"Don't." She lets out a shaky breath, shaking her head from side to side as she slid onto the floor with her back flat against the wall, "Please don't, I'm okay." She hugs herself, rubbing her arms as she squeezed her eyes shut, "I just can't believe he's gone. One second he was here, then he was gone the next and it just seems..." She pauses, opening her eyes and releasing a tear, "so unreal." Without any hesitation, I push off the mattress and get onto my knees right beside her.

I take her face into the palm of my hands and she tries to pull away, but I don't let her. "I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have you by my side, Harry. Thank you for being here with me, even with the shit that I have put you through." She lets out a laugh as I brush the pad of my thumb across her cheek, collecting the tear that had escaped.

"You don't have to thank me," I whispered, smiling and she rests her small hand on top of mine before turning her head and pressing a kiss to the inside of my hand, "I told you that I'd help you through this and I'm sticking to my own word, no matter what." Her eyes meet mine and she shakes her head, "What?" I asked.

"I hate you," She wrinkles her nose, her face cracking a smile, one that I haven't seen for an entire month and it feels amazing to know that I'm the one who made her smile, "I just hate you for being perfect," I laughed, my hands remaining put, "and for making me fall for you again and again." She confesses and my heart beat quickens, finding it hard to breath for a second.

"Did you just--" I spoke, but she brings her hand up and pushes a finger to my lips, stopping me from saying anything to make her regret what she had just said.

I bite my lip to contain the excitement that's building inside of my chest and she rolls her eyes, pushing me onto my ass, but I'm quick to pull her with me, her body collapsing onto my own, "Hi again. So, when do I get to call you my girlfriend?" I asked, wiggling my brows and she smacks my chest, attempting to get up and I swiftly snake my arms around her waist to keep her from doing just that.

"When I say so," She sasses, pushing at my arms and trying to get herself out of my grasp, "Let me go, I'm sleepy."

"I don't give a fuck, we'll sleep here for the rest of the night." My hands rest at the low of her back, finger splayed out across it, "And I'll make sure it feels like the longest night to ever exist."

"How so?" She asks, leaning her arm on my chest and resting her head upon it, gazing up at me in wonder.

"Lots of jokes, tons of them. You'll be begging for me to stop, maybe I'll get to see you on your knees again." I wiggle my brows, the corner of my mouth turning upward in a smirk, "Or there's a second option for you, only if you'd like." I sit up, sitting her onto my lap with my arm resting at the base of her hips, her bottom lip taken in between a blunt set of teeth.

"It would be bright to share you ideas." She nods her head, the pad of her fingertips tracing the outline of my jawline, her eyes watching my lips as I spoke.