Chapter - Forty Nine (Haven)

“Wake up.” The voice was barely more audible than a whisper, but it still startled me from my sleep. It sounded like Danny, but I wasn’t sure. I lazily opened an eye to check, and then immediately regretted it. Once again, all three boys had their heads pressed together above me. I loved each one of them, but none of them seemed able to get it through their heads that I might need at least a little space first thing in the morning. I guess constant intrusions of privacy could only be expected when your roommates were three men.

“Good morning sweetheart.” Aaron said softly, bringing a smile to my face.

“Yes, good morning kitten.” Ryan mocked and only barely dodged my arm as I swung out to hit him. He smirked. “Look at that, even feisty in the morning.”

“The only reason you were able to dodge that is because I’m half asleep.” I informed him, but it wasn’t much more than a mumble. “Why did you wake me up so early anyways?”

“We figured you might want to try hunting.” Danny explained.

Hunting? Surprisingly, the thought of hunting hadn’t crossed my mind once since I had turned. I was content with drinking donated blood for the rest of my existence, but hunting was probably something I should learn. But still, I wasn’t sure I was okay with killing innocent animals. I rolled over to check my alarm clock, and groaned before I could stop myself.

“Okay, but why do we have to go at four o’ clock in the morning?” I couldn’t help the whine that crept into my voice.

“A couple reasons,” Aaron began. “Most importantly because it is dark and this would not be fun to explain if we got caught. Plus no one is going to be wandering the campus this early in the morning.”

I sighed. They had a point, but it didn’t make me want to leave my warm bed any less. I shooed them out of the room before reluctantly making my way to my dresser. What does one wear when they go kill bunnies? I shook my head; I really needed to stop looking at it that way. I pulled on a pair of old jeans and a long sleeved black shirt. It was cold out, and I figured the black would help me blend into the night better. For extra measure I pulled my hair up into a high ponytail.

When I walked into the living room, all three boys were waiting for me and all three were dressed similarly to me. I hadn’t noticed until this moment how alike the four of us looked now. With the exception of Ryan, we all had dark hair, and we all shared the silvery eyes and pale skin that was characteristic of being one of the undead. Undead. I almost laughed at the expression, it brought visions of Dracula to mind. I definitely would not use the word ‘undead’ to describe us, if anything I felt more alive than ever.

I followed the boys out of the room and down the stairs to the main lobby, grateful for out supernatural reflexes, it made it so much easier to slip through the school unnoticed. The front doors slammed shut with a loud bang, and I nearly jumped out of my skin. I looked at the boys to see their reactions, but Danny and Aaron didn’t seem to have noticed it and Ryan only looked amused at me nearly having a heart attack. I decided not to worry about it, and continued to follow the guys away from the main building silently. It wasn’t until we were well away from the school that Aaron finally spoke up.

“Alright Haven, the first thing you need to remember is to be patient. If the animal senses your eagerness they will run away in a heartbeat.” he instructed.

“Also, remember to break the animal’s neck. It’s quicker and easier that way.” Ryan chimed in and I resisted the urge to gag. Would I really be able to do this? I doubted it.