Chapter - Thirty Five (Haven)

I stumbled backwards and fell onto the bed. A sense of déjà vu overcame me, and I gripped my head in my hands. No no no, this cannot be happening again. The thing could not have followed me to California; the door must just be stuck. I pulled out my phone to text Abby, but the screen was black. I was screwed.

“Havennn.” A voice whispered my name, drawing it out. The voice sent shivers down my spine, it was definitely not human. I couldn’t tell where it came from, perhaps outside of the window.

“Haven.” This time the whisper was short, and much closer. It sounded like it was in the room now. I covered my mouth with my hands to keep from screaming. I walked back over to the door, trying the knob again. It still wouldn’t open. I pounded my fist on the wood, but it didn’t do anything.

The lights started to flicker, and all I could think about was how much this felt like a horror movie. After a couple of seconds the lights went black, leaving the room shrouded in darkness. A little light shone through the door crack; the power had not gone out.

The sound of long claws scratching against glass filled the room and I gasped, remembering how those same claws had felt on my skin. Oh God, this really was happening.

I decided that screaming now might actually be a good thing, but when I tried to, only air came out. My voice seemed to have completely disappeared. I went back to pounding on the door, hoping that someone somewhere in the house would hear me and come to my rescue.

“Haven. Haven. Haven.” The word was repeated in the same whispery bone-chilling voice, and I had never hated the sound of my name so much. I couldn’t tell where it was coming from; I only knew that it was veryclose. I knew it wouldn’t be long until I could feel its hot breath on the back of my neck, just like last time. My stomach lurched at the memory.

Something swiped against the back of my shirt, but when I spun around I found only air. This thing was fast.Not only was it fast, I soon found out, but it was also strong. It was stronger than even the vampires, and I knew they would have a hard time putting up a fight against whatever this thing was. I really hoped that there were not more of them.

It wrapped its long, clawed fingers around my neck, and lifted me against the wall as if I weighed no more than a feather. Despite the fact that I was gasping for air, I thought back to earlier in the week when Aaron had done the same to Matt. I understood how Matt felt now, only I was much much more scared. The death-grip tightened and I knew at that moment that I was going to die. I was sad that the last thing I would see was the pure white eyes of the creature, which was the only part of it that was visible.

As the air escaped my lungs, I slowly lost consciousness, but I was happy that my death would not be a horribly painful one. Further and further I fell into the blackness that surrounded me, and eventually it finally consumed all of me.

“You know, you seem to pass out much more than anyone else.” I heard a silky voice say as I came to. I should be dead right now. Was I in heaven? I opened my eyes to see Aaron above me. Yep, definitely in heaven.

“Aaron?”

“Haven?” he mocked me, with a gentle smile on his face.

“Where am I?” I was warm and comfortable, but still very disorientated.

“You’re in your bed. With me. Where you belong.” He said, but then blushed when he realized how that could be taken. He made no move to take it back though. I looked around to see that I was, in fact, back in my own bedroom.