Chapter - Thirty Six (Aaron)

“Ugh.” I heard Haven groan, and I rolled over to see the girl only as a silhouette against the window. It was completely bright outside, which didn’t make sense because it was still pretty early in the morning. The sun should just be coming up.

“What’s wrong, beautiful?” I asked, still groggy from sleep.

“There’s snow.” I chuckled, and then went back to closing my eyes, pulling my blanket up around me. That explains why it’s so damn cold, I suppose. I thought that the lack of Haven laying next to me might have something to do with it too. She walked over to where I was half-sleeping, and I grabbed her and pulled her down so that she was again laying in my arms.

“What do you have against snow?” I asked, smiling into her hair.

“It’s cold, and it’s wet. And driving in it is a pain.”

“First of all, you don’t have a car, not that you would need to go anywhere. And secondly, I don’t think you have even ever driven in snow, Miss California.” She made a sound that sounded like ‘hhmmfff’ and I knew I was right. I could tell that she was no longer tired, so I made an effort to wake myself up as well. I propped myself up on one elbow, and looked down at Haven. She still took my breath away every time I saw her, as she had from the start. I looked around the room, and noticed the absence of two certain idiots. “Where are my brothers?”

“They left like twenty minutes ago, Ryan dragged Danny out of bed to go play in the snow.” I nodded, Ryan was a sucker for snow. I would be surprised if he ditched all his classes to go play in the snow.

“Mmm I see. So that means,” I tried to make my voice sound as flirtatious as possible, “we have the whole dorm to ourselves.”

Haven seemed surprised at my tone, but didn’t object when I brought my lips down to meet hers. It had been three weeks since I had first kissed her that night in California, and every time since it just gets better and better. I’m not quite sure what Haven and I were, not dating exactly but definitely more than friends. I wasn’t sure that that was enough for me.

I kissed her softly at first, but when she grabbed my hair and pulled me down on top of her, things got much more heated. I let her have her way for a couple of minutes, before groaning and rolling off of her. I went back to my original position, propped up on one elbow on my side.

“What’s wrong?” She asked, sensing that something was off about me. She had an uncanny ability to do that.

“Nothing’s wrong.” I tried to smile, but it felt fake even to my own lips.

“Don’t lie to me Aaron.” Her voice wasn’t necessarily stern, but it had definitely lost some of its gentleness.

“I just don’t want this to end.” I finally said, after thinking about it for some time.

“It doesn’t have to end.” She seemed so certain about it. I didn’t think that she had thought this through.

“Of course it does, Haven.”

“Give me one reason why.”

“Because I’m a vampire and you are a human.”

“That’s just rude. Now you’re bringing race into the picture?” She joked and I rolled my eyes.

“This has nothing to do with race and you know it. This might be able to last for awhile yeah, but what about when you start to get older and I stay eighteen forever?” Realization dawned on her face and I realized that I had been right, she hadn’t considered any of this.