Chapter - Twelve (Haven)

The rest of the week went by uneventfully, and it wasn’t until Friday that anything exciting happened. Ryan and I walked our normal route to gym but stopped when we saw what appeared to be the rest of the class crowded by the gym doors. Ryan grabbed my hand and pushed our way towards the front of the crowd, despite the many groans and insults from our classmates.

I soon saw the reason for the overly crowded hallway; yellow Do Not Enter police taped blocked the doors and Mr. Reynolds, the principal, stood up at the front of the mob trying to calm down everyone.

“Excuse me… EXCUSE ME!” he yelled, causing everyone to finally shut up. “All classes will be canceled, until further notice. However, the Halloween dance will still take place next Friday. Everyone needs to go back to their dorms immediately, thank you.”

The buzz of gossiping students walking back to their dorms filled the hallway, but Ryan went up to Mr. Reynolds.

“What happened?” he asked, looking into the principals eyes. The frazzled principal looked around at the cops worriedly before whispering something into Ryan’s ear. Ryan’s whole body stiffened, and he gave a quick nod to Reynolds. He turned to me, grabbing my arm and dragged me through the crowded hallway towards our dorm.

“Ryan, what’s going on?” I asked him as he kept dragging me.

“Hold on.” He pulled me along faster until finally we reached the door. Ryan jammed his key into the lock. By the way he was acting, I was surprised he didn’t just break it down. Danny and Aaron were on the couch, laughing and arguing about whether Butters or Stewie was more kickass. They looked up at us cheerfully when we bursted in but they shot up off the couch when they saw the look on Ryan’s face.

“What’s wrong, man?” Danny asked walking over to where we stood, followed not long after by Aaron.

“Coach Turner has been murdered. They found her lying on her office floor this morning. Her body was completely drained of blood.” Ryan told us, looking at the floor as he spoke. I couldn’t help but feel sad, even though I had known her for only a while and thought she was a total pervert for having an affair with astudent. I couldn’t believe she was dead. I saw my sadness and shock mirrored in all three of the guys faces.

“How did you find out?” Danny asked Ryan curiously, hiding the sadness in his voice.

“Reynolds told me.” He said and the other two nodded.

“Wait,” I started, “Is he aloud to do that?” I didn’t think that the principal would be allowed to release crime scene information to a student.

“Reynolds is a vampire too.” Aaron answered the question for Ryan. He seemed to see the confusion in my face because he went on. “How else would three grown vampires be able to stay in a human boarding school unnoticed?” he asked me rhetorically. That would make sense.

“It was Damien.” Aaron accused, with an angry look on his face.

“Yeah probably.” Danny agreed. I silently agreed too, I think

Damien would be the only vampire around here cruel enough to do that.

“So what do we do now?” I asked all three of them, but Aaron was the one to reply.

“We wait to see what he does next.” Aaron’s mouth was a tight line. I couldn’t imagine how hard this must be for him, as his brother was a sadistic murderer. I nodded and sighed.

“You must be hungry, Haven.” Danny said, taking my hand and leading me toward the door. What was with these boys and holding my hand?

“Wait, what about you to?” I said over my shoulder to Aaron and Ryan who were still standing in the living room.

“You’re not the only one that’s hungry.” Ryan said and realization dawned on me. I nodded and followed Danny out the door. I didn’t even notice what food Danny was putting on my plate in the lunch line, I was in too much shock. I couldn’t believe Damian had actually killed someone. Something told me that the coach wouldn’t be the first of Damian’s victims at the school, and I had a feeling that he would keep killing until he got what he really wanted… me. As soon as I thought it I knew it was true. I was what Damian truly wanted, although I had no idea why. The information was kind of depressing, not to mention confusing as hell.

I ate my lunch in silence, still bewildered by the day’s events. Danny didn’t eat any food, just watched me intently as if I would go into a panic attack at any second. The other inhabitants of the dining hall all gossiped about the murder and finally I couldn’t take it anymore.

“Alright, I’m done.” I said, standing up with my barely eaten tray of food in hand. Danny nodded and waited while I threw away my leftovers. We walked back up to the room to find it empty as Aaron and Ryan were still out hunting. I sat on the couch and saw Danny staring at me intently. His eyes lingered on my throat and I realized that he too must be hungry.

“Danny, you should go hunting with the guys.” I said.

“No, I need to stay with you while Damian is here, I’m not sure you would be able to protect yourself if he decided to come for you.” He shook his head.

“Trust me, I will be fine. You really need to eat though or I might be in even greater danger.” I said stubbornly but giving him a reassuring smile. He seemed to think it over but them nodded.

“Alright, I suppose you’re right. But I have my phone and if anything, and I mean anything, happens, call me and we’ll all be here in a second.” He said sternly and I nodded. He gave me a small smile before shrugging on his jacket and leaving, locking the door behind him.