Chapter - Twenty Nine (Aaron)

“What the hell?!” When I heard this sentence, my eyes shot open and before I knew it I was wide awake. It took me a second to realize exactly where I was, but once I saw the purple walls of Haven’s bedroom, I remembered all of what had happened the night before. I felt something warm pressed up against me, and I looked over to see Haven still sleeping. Sometime during the night I must have wrapped my arms around her. I was surprised that the loud exclamation had not woken her up.

I looked towards the door, where the speaker was standing. I had never recognized her before, but as soon as I saw her face I knew immediately who she was. There, looking into Haven’s room with an astonished face stood the sunburned girl from Haven’s picture. Emily, my mind reminded me. I considered introducing myself, but thought better of it. Instead I gently brushed her arm, waking her up. Of course she would wake up at my touch but not at the sound of someone yelling. Figures.

“Hmm?” she asked, rolling over to face me. Her eyes and voice were still groggy from sleep. When she registered my expression she seemed worried, but I just nodded at the door.

“Emily!” She practically yelled, rolling out of bed and running to her best friend. As soon as they stopped hugging, which felt like forever, Emily grabbed Haven’s shoulders and held her at arms length.

“Okay, what is that?” she asked, pointing to me. I decided not to take offense at that comment.

That” said Haven, mimicking Emily’s tone, “is Aaron.”

“Aaron is it?” Emily looked at me, cocking an eyebrow. “And why is Aaron sleeping in your bed with you? Haven Valerie, have you finally swiped your V Card?!” When Emily said that, a mortified expression crossed Haven’s face, and I decided it was a good thing that I had no idea what she was talking about.

“No! God no. Aaron is just a friend. Nothing more.”

“Then will you please explain to me the spooning?” Emily crossed her arms.

“No, I can’t really explain that one…” Haven trailed off, looking at me.

“Don’t look at me.” I shrugged.

Emily looked just as she had in the picture, minus the extremely red skin. I would have thought her pretty maybe, except that no one but Haven seemed beautiful to me anymore. Her hair was blond and wavy, it fell past her shoulders.

“What’s going on in here?” Danny asked, walking into the room and rubbing his eyes. They widened immediately as soon as he saw Emily, and if I didn’t know better, it almost looked like he blushed. “Um, am I interrupting something?” he looked back and forth between me and Haven, but when neither of us said anything he deemed it alright to stay in the room.

“Oh, so there’s another one?” Emily said, looking Danny up and down. If possible, Danny’s cheeks turned even more red. What was that boy’s problem?

“That one would be Danny.” Haven said.

“You have started to hang out with some very interesting people…” Emily mused, but the way she said it implied that it was not a bad thing at all.

“I still don’t understand why they are in your house though. Let alone in your bed.” She directed that last statement at me, but I ignored it.

“They came to spend Thanksgiving here with me. These are the roommates I was telling you about.”

“Oh, I bet your parents just loved that.” Emily smirked. Haven shook her head.

“They don’t know that they are my roommates. And they are not going to.” She gave Emily a look and Emily rolled her eyes. The way they acted around each other definitely showed how close of friends they were. Maybe even as close as I was with Danny and Ryan. Ironically, Ryan chose that moment to walk into the room also.

“Thanks for the party invite guys.” he said. This room was suddenly getting much too crowded for my liking. He stopped when he saw Emily.

“Hello there,” he winked at her. Danny glared behind his back.

“Oh dear God, another one?” Emily eyed my shirtless brother skeptically. Did Ryan ever where a shirt? I was starting to doubt it.

“Ryan,” Haven started “there will be no hitting on Emily.”

“I think it’s a little late for that,” Ryan smirked. “Besides, you already banned me from hitting on your mom, now you are going to deprive me of your friends too? What am I supposed to do on this trip then?” Emily smacked his arm. Wow, Emily and Haven really were alike.

“Well, I came to kidnap Haven but I suppose I have to take all of you now. Good thing I have a big car.” Emily observed, before walking out of the room. We followed her out.

“Ryan, put on a shirt.” Was the last thing Haven said before we left.