Chapter - Forty Four (Haven)

I stayed like that, kissing Aaron, for a few more minutes. All too soon he pulled away, laughing at the pout I gave him.

“I’m sorry,” he smiled. “I have to go talk to Jared for a little bit, will you be alright on your own?”

I gave him a did-you-really-just-ask-me-that look and he smiled once more before bending down to press his lips to my forehead and exiting the bedroom. I stretched out on the bed and rolled off, still surprised at how fast my new reflexes were. I felt like a whole new person, yet I still felt like me. Like a better me. I took a quick shower, before pulling on a white summer dress I had packed. I was amazed how hot Florida was, even in the middle of winter. It had been too long since I had seen the sun; I had started to get sick of sweaters and jeans.

I surveyed myself in the mirror to make sure I was presentable. Thanks to the transformation my complexion was perfect, and I didn’t need any makeup. I tied my hair into a lose ponytail and left the room, entering the maze of hallways that was Jared’s mansion. I poked my head into Ryan and Danny’s rooms, but they weren’t there. I figured they were talking to Jared with Aaron, or perhaps hunting. At the thought of hunting, my throat started to burn, and I realized how thirsty I really was. I knew I needed to find some blood fast, before I did something I would regret.

I made my way through the house, and after a few wrong turns, I finally found the kitchen. And in the kitchen, sitting on a bar stool with his feet propped up on the island counter was my favorite person. Note the sarcasm.

“Good morning Damian.” I grumbled, and he gave me his signature smirk. I groaned internally. It was too early for Damian’s douchebaggery. Douchebaggery, I smiled to myself at the word. It should be added to the dictionary.

“Good morning Haven.” He said through his smirk, while his eyes roamed over my body. “It’s been awhile since you’ve worn a dress. I’ve missed it.” He winked at me and I held back a gag. Instead I flipped him off and turned to the pantry. I scanned the shelves looking for something, anything, to quench the burning in my throat.

“Thirsty?” Damian asked from behind me. I nodded, not bothering to turn around to look at him. “Well you won’t find anything in there.”

Damian chucked something at the back of my head, I could hear it whizzing through the air, something I would never have been able to pick up as a human. Before I knew what was happening, my hand was in the air, catching the cold bag of blood before it could cause any damage to me. I looked at it in amazement for a second before turning around to glare at Damian, just as he was closing the refrigerator door.

“It’s better to keep it refrigerated.” He explained, with a look of fake innocence, as if he hadn’t just thrown something at me. I ignored him, instead turning my attention to the bag in my hands.

“Type O?” I asked, reading the label on it.

“Mmhmm, it’s the best.” Damian smiled and I gave the bag a doubtful look. “Go ahead, try it.”

I opened the bag hesitantly, unsure of what to expect. As soon as it was all the way open, the metallic scent of blood filled my nostrils, and before I knew what was happening the bag was to my lips. I chugged the whole thing down in a matter of seconds, and when I was done Damian handed me another one. This one took me a little longer to devour, and this time I tried to savor the taste. It was tangy tasting on my tongue, but it felt like cool water going down my throat. Slowly it stifled the burning agony in my throat, and I finished the bag off with a content sigh.

“You like that?” Damian smirked when I nodded eagerly. “Just wait until you try fresh blood, it’s a thousand times better.” I thought that nothing could beat that, but I didn’t say anything. I took a moment to enjoy the relief I felt, before taking a seat next to Damian at the island.

“Why aren’t you with the others?” I asked him, eyeing him from the side.

“I wasn’t invited to Aaron and Jared’s little conversation and as for my brother’s little sidekicks- I’m not much of fan of eating bunnies. I’d much rather have human blood, even if it’s not fresh.”

“So they are hunting?” I asked, and Damian nodded, scrunching up his nose at the thought. I sighed, and rested my head in my hands, wondering what I was supposed to do now. I wasn’t exactly a big fan of spending the day with Damian, even if he was acting a little more behaved.

“Don’t look so down.” Damian ordered, eyeing me out of the corner of his eye. “Come on, I know what we can do. There is someone you might want to meet.”