Chapter - Fourteen (Aaron)

“Something’s wrong.” Danny said looking up at me from the elk carcass he had been draining of blood.

“What do you mean something is wrong? Mine tastes just fine.” Ryan said from where he was draining his own elk. Although we were soaking wet, the rain felt good against my skin. We were only about two miles away from the school, and I had already finished eating. Now I was only waiting on Danny and Ryan to finish eating their own prey, so we could get back to the school and make sure Haven was ok. The look on Danny’s face said that what whatever was wrong was way more important than any funny-tasting blood.

“Danny, what is it?” I asked. Even Ryan seemed to pick up on the worry in my voice, leaving his half-consumed elk and walking over to us. I knew that whatever Danny would say would be true, Danny had a way of knowing things. It was just one of his talents, like how Ryan had a heavy influence over people and how I was faster and stronger than them. Danny’s gift can really be useful… especially now.

“It’s Haven,” he said. “She’s in trouble.” Ryan and I exchanged a worried glance before looking back to Danny.

“How much trouble?” Ryan asked, looking a little scared. I could see that he actually had feeling for her, which is strange for Ryan.

“It’s bad.” Danny whispered, and that’s all we needed. All three of us took off running, at impossible speeds, me in the lead.

When we reached the building, we sprinted through the door, grateful that Ms. Moore had chosen that moment to leave her desk. We bounded up the stairs and I would’ve kicked open the door if it hadn’t already been unlocked. I pushed open the door, and gasped when I saw the dorm. All the lights were on, and Haven was lying in the middle of the living room floor, dark hair splayed out behind her, and looking very pale. The window was open, and cool air was blowing throughout the dorm. There were scratch marks on the wall under the window; it was obvious that there had been a struggle.

“Haven.” Both Ryan and I gasped, running over to her still body and kneeling down on either side of her. I just wanted to pick her up and hold her in my arms forever and never let anything hurt her again. Where didthat thought come from?

“Aaron, I’m going to kill your brother.” Ryan said, running his hand along Haven’s silky hair. A wave of jealousy flowed through me, but I pushed it aside.

“Damian didn’t do this.” I said, Damian would have been my first suspect, except whatever did this to Haven wasn’t a vampire. It was something worse.

“Are you sure?” Danny asked, eyeing Haven suspiciously. I nodded, my mouth was dry.

“She’s still alive.” Ryan said, his hand feeling Haven’s pulse. I reached over and replaced Ryan’s hand with my own. I nodded, I could feel it too, the steady, but fading beat of Haven’s heart. Haven needed help, and she needed it soon. I grimaced as I told Danny and Ryan the only solution I could think of.

“We need Damian.”

As soon as I said it, I saw shock mirrored in both of their faces.

“Why would we need him? He is one of the reasons we’re here in the first place!” Ryan said and I could see anger flash in his eyes.

“He can heal.” Danny chimed in, from where he was leaning against the front door. I nodded, for once grateful of Danny’s ability to know things he shouldn’t.