18: Lost

The unrecognizable eyes that stared back at John wasn’t only shocking, but confusing as he apologized to the strangers and retrieved his steps back to the car.

“Mr. John! That was a decoy! This way!” John heard and his head whipped back at Seun, who was now out of the car, loading his gun.

“Where did they go?” John asked as he ran back to Seun, whom pointed to the opposite direction the strangers were headed to. “Why didn’t you go after them?” He demanded and ran off before Seun could reply.

The hot sun scorched, causing John to put a lot of effort in opening his eyes.

After running for a while, he came to a stop.

His chest rose and fell heavily, as he tried to catch his breath, sweat tickling down his face and soaking his shirt.

He looked around among the adults, whom had stopped discussing to stare at him and the children, whom didn't mind what might be going on, but didn’t see the man he was chasing. He barely knew what he was supposed to be looking out for.

“Please, for the love of God,” Seun breathed when he reached his side. “Stop running off like you’re some athlete.” He said between gasps and wheezes, as he bent over with his hands on his laps

“What did,” John swallowed. “What were they wearing?”

“The man,” Seun swallowed as he tried to catch his breath, and straightened his posture. “The man had a scarf over his head and the girl, a wrapper over her. I think with the way they were walking, he had a gun-”

“I’ve seen them.” John cut him off and ran towards the direction he spotted the suspect with his niece.

“Not again.” Seun growled, before chasing after him.

***

Joy watched as Oluchi received the press news from a student, read it and ran out of the cafeteria with her hands to her face.

Tayo had picked up the paper and was reading it, before looking up. His eyes caught hers and her no's flared as a deep frown settled on her face.

As he made his way towards her, she bit down on nothing, feeling her heart pound heavily.

“Who did this?” Tayo demanded when he reached her.

“I swear, if I should catch whoever it is, ehn...” she let her words trail off as she squeezed the flyer in her hand.

She looked away and gazed into space, as she began racking her brain. Oluchi didn't have any enemy that could go to this extent.

Oluchi was pretty much nice to even the school cleaners, but someone had still decided to make her an enemy.

'Who could that be?'

She was still thinking when she remembered something: this morning, Blessing's request...

***

“What is the meaning of this?!” Joy demanded as she slammed the paper to the table in front of Blessing, with her palm.

Blessing raised a brow and looked at the paper on the table, before ignoring it and going back to her phone.

“Blessing, don’t make me slap you. What is the meaning of this nonsense you printed?” Joy was doing everything she could to hold down her temper. It was going to be trouble for her if her parents found out she had a fight in school, and as much as she hated to be in that kind of trouble, her blood was boiling just above 100 and out of control.