7: An earlobe, a lie

If I could, I would have skipped on my way back to class. After seeing the shocked look on the Principal's face, I knew for sure he hadn't expected the number of turnouts as well.

I was really grateful to Bayo but telling him was going to be very hard, seeing that I underrated him and concluded he was just trying to prank me.

As I reached the bottom of the stairs, the memory of Mom crying this morning flashed through my mind. I remembered how full-figured she used to be but now, she looked really pale and her eyes seemed like they would roll our of their sockets soon enough.

I would give anything to see her smile like she used to.

The twins still asked about Big Sis this morning and it dug out guilt. Worrying them with things like these were dangerous. They could loose concentration in their studies - now I understood why Mom and Dad didn't want them to know - but I couldn't take back what I did.

As I was about getting to the bottom of the second flight of stairs, to the second floor, I caught Aliya giggling at Senior Usman.

She waved shyly at him, and he winked at her before hurrying down the stairs and walking passed me.

In no time, Blessing stormed out of the classroom and dragged Aliya by her arm, leading her to the third floor.

My brows furrowed in curiosity as I wondered what had just happened. Blessing looked really mad but I couldn't seem to tell what she was angry at.

"Joy." I heard and snapped out of my thoughts to see Mr. Samuel standing at the top of the stairs.

I climbed up to meet him. "Good afternoon, Sir." I smiled.

"Congratulations." He greeted with a small smile.

"You already heard?"

"I didn't have to. What you guys did this afternoon and the smile on your face says it all. And Bayo also told me the number of people you guys managed to get to join the club."

"He told you?" I asked, surprised that Bayo would report such to Mr. Samuel.

Mr. Samuel was our coordinator but I was sure Bayo didn't know that since he was still a new student.

"Bayo used to be one of my students in the school I used to teach at." Mr. Samuel clarified.

"Oh."

"Yes." He smiled. "He's a good student. Smart kid and I was very fond of him. Even though life played funny games with him, he's still remarkable."

"Wow." I marvelled at how much praise song Mr. Samuel had just sang in Bayo's name.

Bayo's idea this afternoon was a smart one but I didn't think he had more to him than just that one idea.

I was still marvelling in my thoughts when another crossed my mind. "What funny games did life play with him? Is that why he resumed second term with us?"

I had been silently wondering why he resumed this term and not first term. It was going to be hard catching up, I thought.

"I think so." He replied but didn't sound sure, completely.

"J, it's time o." Oluchi hurried out of the classroom with the bell in her hand.

"You're already tired of school?" Mr. Samuel laughed and she chuckled as I moved closer to the one of the large opened windows in the corridor, and rang the bell.

"Closing time!" I announced.

"Sir, we are all going to miss you." Oluchi said as I joined them.