11: The Right Words

From now on, I'll be writing in third person's point of view as things are about to change and writing like this will help the flow of the story. Thanks for your supposed understanding. 😁 Enjoy!

***

Everyone in SS2 Art department got up to greet the next teacher that had entered - Mrs. Agunbiade, their Yoruba teacher.

Joy wore a scowl on her face like a few others in the class, hating the subject as seconds grew into minutes and realization dawned on them, as usual, that this was an inevitable subject.

Mrs. Agunbiade, who cared very little about who enjoyed her teaching, started to read from a Yoruba literary book they were to use that term.

Joy felt like she was being tortured but couldn't complain even if she wanted to. She would get in trouble because of that and Mrs. Agunbiade wasn't known to be lenient.

Once the 45 minutes dictated for the period was over, the students started to get really uncomfortable when Mrs. Agunbiade wouldn't leave the class.

"If you like, break your head. I will not leave here until I am through with this passage." Mrs. Agunbiade deadpanned in Yoruba and a loud grumble erupted from the students.

Fifteen minutes after the bell had been rung, Mrs. Agubiande finally left the class and when Joy let out a heavy sigh of relief, Oluchi couldn't hold back her laugh.

"Is it Yoruba that's making you breath like a dragon?" Oluchi teased.

"The subject is just annoying. The only thing I'm hearing is just ngba-ti ngba-ti." Joy stated and Oluchi snickered. "Anyways, did you see Emma today?"

"Yes o. He's probably washing toilets with Bayo by now." Oluchi answered and Joy grimaced at the thought of how much the toilet must stink.

"Nawa o. It's still funny how no one knows why they fought. Till today." Joy added as she searched her bag for her jotter.

"Abi." Oluchi sighed.

Joy finally found her jotter and opened it to check her timetable which was written on the last page of the book. "We're having Maths." She stated as she stared at her sloppy handwriting.

"I heard we'll be having new English and Maths teacher today."

"Ehen?"

"Yeah."

"Hmm." Joy nodded and put her book back in her bag. "Where did Tayo go to sef?"

"Science class."

Joy didn't ask any further questions because she knew that as much as Tayo hung out with them, he was still a boy and all boys needed boy-company sometimes.

"That boy sef is not serious. He was complaining that I should not be calling him Ty and he still used the name as his Whatsapp name." Joy laughed.

"Oh, you saw it too? When I asked him why he used it, he just said he'll not hear word about this issue because of us." Oluchi laughed.

Having no teacher in the class yet, was more or less like having free period to the students and all they wanted to do was chit-chat, gossip, play and whatever they could think of. The class had gotten so noisy that no one was bothered about controlling it.

Just then, the Principal walked in.

"Good morning..." One of the students got up to greet and the others joined in immediately they realized the Principal's presence.

"You people want to drag down this whooole building abi?" The Principal complained but no one dared reply him.

The man that had entered the class with the Principal gave a light chuckle at the Principal's choice of words.