14: Too much to ask for

It was another Sunday morning but Deborah didn't know that. She couldn't tell what time or day it was because she had lost count a long time ago.

She and the five girls remaining were shoved roughly into the large room before the metal door was closed shut, and locked.

She couldn't believe she was getting used to this life.

Almost every morning, they were taken out of their rooms for their 'clean-up': this was done by sex-driven guys who could only stare at their naked bodies as they washed them but couldn't touch them. If they did, they would die instantly and this had happened only once.

It was probably a week after they had been kidnapped, she remembered. One of the guys had slept with one of them during their clean-up and had died immediately.

She couldn't explain why this had happened but she knew it had something to do with the weird red scarfs they tied around their necks when they were taken out for their clean-ups.

"Poor girl must have been killed after that," she murmured.

She sniffed back the mucus in her nose and wrapped her arms around herself, struggling for easy breathing.

The door suddenly opened and they all turned to see who it was. It was the guy who always came to feed them the only meal they were permitted to have throughout a day. She knew he was Kaka because that's what Baba had called him one time he came to serve them.

The door was left opened as Saka stood guard, watching Kaka serve everyone their food from a Ghana-must-go bag.

As he handed the take-away plate to every girl, Deborah watched as the girls hurriedly opened their own plates, devouring their foods like animals. She shook her head after receiving hers and opening it. She wasn't even sure if the food they were given were up to a cooking spoon, and was sad that this was their life now. Eating without spoon, like dogs.

Next, she received her sachet of water. When she was about to look down at her food, she caught Kaka licking his lips and when their eyes met, he winked at her. Immediately, she swallowed a huge lump that had formed in her throat.

He squatted before her. His hands shot up to her cheeks and she flinched causing him to frown.

"Kaka," Saka warned.

"Person no fit play again? (Can't someone play around anymore?)" Kaka said and gave a dry chuckle.

That laugh, Deborah recognized. She recognized his voice at once.

He was her demon. The man that tormented her every night. She had never seen his face because when he called for her, he always took her to a dark room and made sure her eyes were ahead and he was behind her.

She took in his facial details: he had a strong facial feature, bulky arms and barreled chest. She was sure outside these walls, he looked normal to others and girls must want him at all cost.

"What is someone like this doing in a place like this?" She asked herself bitterly.

She looked at the door and Kaka winked at her before leaving. Immediately the door was closed shut, she let out a dry breath, tears rolling down her eyes.

She couldn't believe it. Kaka had been the one harassing her body and was now put in charge of killing anyone who touched them. How worse could anything get? She cried.

A sudden movement at the end of the room caught her attention and she looked over. It wasn't that bright but she could make out that someone was shaking vigorously.

She ignored the panicked murmurs from the girls and immediately rushed to the convulsing girl whose mouth was already foaming.

"I need spoon or something strong. Anything!" She yelled at the girls and some of them looked around frantically while the others stared in fear. "Please, don't die." She cried as she held the girl in her arms, rocking her back and forth.