16: Uneasy feelings

“What if,” Deborah had said, a small smile spreading across her lips. “I suddenly get kidnapped and you have to give up eating for the rest of your life just to save me?”

“God forbid! I reject it.” Mrs. Hannah had interjected at once, causing her children to laugh. “Why do you children like to say evil things with your mouth?” She asked as she sat on one of the chairs at the dinning table.

“Mommy.” Joy dragged with a short laugh. “She just said ‘what if’. She didn’t say it will happen.” She pointed out, and threw a popcorn from the large bowl on the table to her mouth.

“That doesn’t mean she should say it. You don’t know the kind of Angel that can be passing by.” Mrs. Hannah warned with a stern look on her face, but it only made them laugh the more. “Why are you people laughing?” A deep scowl played on her face as they continued to laugh.

“Oh, mommy. Our sweet mom.” Deborah teased as she got up to hug Mrs. Hannah from behind.

“Better leave me o. You are laughing at me because I don’t have sense na.” Mrs. Hannah grumbled.

“Ah! Mommy!” Joy exclaimed, her hands on her head.

“Chioma, didn’t you hear your sister?” Mrs. Hannah said as she tried to pry off Deborah’s arms from her neck.

“Let’s go.” Oluchi said, her voice snapping Joy’s mind from her thoughts about the past.

“Oh. You are done?” Joy said as she leaned away from the wall to the girl’s bathroom. She had escorted Oluchi there.

As she wiped a stubborn tear she didn’t know had fallen, Oluchi watched her.

Oluchi couldn’t seem to get used to having Joy cry when it’s not because of a tragic movie. The other day at Joy’s house had really surprised her and she knew it must be really hard for her friend, to the point that she finally cried.

“Joy,” Oluchi called.

“Hmm.” Joy sniffed as she looked at her friend.

Oluchi took a step, covering the small distance between them, as she reached for Joy’s hands. When she had them in hers, she looked up to her friend’s face.

“It’s going to be fine.” She said with a small smile.

“I know.” Joy's blank face morphed into a frown.

“Stop forming iron woman for me jare. I already saw you cry.” Oluchi said, causing Joy to laugh.

"Tell anyone, and I'll rip all your novels apart." Joy threatened and Oluchi raised a hand in mock surrender, making Joy laugh.

On their way back to their classroom, Joy wondered why Oluchi was avoiding Tayo. It was clear that she was.

Tayo had even mentioned that Oluchi barely stayed up to talk to him when he stayed over at her place on Saturday. And that was unlike Oluchi.

Oluchi liked to talk about the important and most trivial things, so it was really unlike her to just GO to bed when Tayo visited.

“Chi,” Joy called when they reached the bottom of the stairs to the second floor.

When Oluchi turned to answer, she pulled her close to the wall, away from the stairs. They stood facing each other, their sides to the wall.

“Did you have a fight with Tayo?” Joy asked, her arms folded.