4: Ten Over Ten

Thanks a lot for the cover ShanteSOspecial. I'm always grateful 😊

***

Telling the twins about what was really going on in the house wasn't a good idea at first, but now, it felt like a heavy burden had been lifted off my shoulders.

We'll still have to pretend the twins don't know when mom and dad are around. I'll tell them about it later.

I kicked off my duvet and it fell to the floor as I yawned out of bed. The twins hadn’t taken the news about big sis’ disappearance very well, but they had taken it well enough to keep quiet about the fact that I told them. Since mom and dad didn’t tell the twins themselves, I wasn’t sure it was a good idea for them to know that I did.

I rubbed my eyes and yawned again as I stood in front of my mirror which was on the wall, close to my bathroom door.

I stared at my reflection for a few seconds. My chubby cheeks were the same as ever and my neck sunk in a little. All these were normal signs that I should go on a diet and burn some fat but it’s so hard to give up yoghurt and fatty food just so I could look like a skinny model.

Ignoring the obvious signs that stated I should start exercising, I entered my bathroom and squeezed my toothpaste on my toothbrush and got a good scrub of my gap set of teeth.

I was slower than usual in getting ready for school today and I knew why. The Press Club was at stake and I had only till tomorrow to do something about it but I had no idea of what I was supposed to do. The responsibilities a Press Club member was too much of a burden for anyone to want to join. People just wanted to go to a competition or an event and have fun and not do the work of a reporter. It's either that or they found the club boring.

I stepped under the shower and turned it on.

“Yay!” I screamed and stepped out of the shower immediately.

“What happened?!” I heard mom ask from outside.

“Nothing!” I yelled back as I hugged myself really tight. The water from the shower was surprisingly cold and scary.
“This is going to take forever.” I told myself.

After minutes of squeaking and taking a hurried bath, I was finally done and out of the bathroom.

“Good morning!” Adora sang as she entered my room.

“What is wrong with you? Can’t you knock?” I snapped as I held onto one end of my towel around my chest.

“Oh, please. It’s not like your room is worth the privacy you’re attaching to it.” She said and rolled her eyes.

“Get out.” I demanded and pointed at the door.

“Relax. I’m not going to bite.” She sat on my bed.

“Who knows? And why are you up so early?”

“I couldn’t sleep after the whole prayer session your family put up out there.” She referred to our morning prayer.

I rolled my eyes and walked over to my wardrobe.

“Any who, I came to ask you a favour.” She said.

“No.” I said immediately as I took out my uniform and threw it to the bed.

“You haven’t even heard what I wanted to ask.” She exclaimed and got up from the bed to look at me.

“As long as it’s coming from your mouth, I don’t care.”

“Either ways I’m just gonna say it. I want Tayo’s number.” She said and I turned to see the grin on her face.