XLV - Surprise

I held it in my hand as if it was the most fragile thing known to man

I held it in my hand as if it was the most fragile thing known to man. I stared at it as it sparkled in my hand, seeing the reflection of Mila. I didn't even know how we got to this point. Mila became everything I wanted to be and then some in a matter of months. I found happiness in her eyes, sincerity in her voice and always called her my Goddess living among men.

"I would have never thought to see the day that this ring will finally leave my vault," my jeweler said as he looked at the ring along with me.

It was six years ago when I came to Horatio asking him to make me an engagement ring. He made my mother's engagement ring, and I knew I wanted him to design mine. Every year since I was twenty, I came inside and just admired it, praying that I'll find my fiancee and best friend all in one. Year after year it was getting helpless until I bumped into Mila.

I remember walking through Barnes and Nobles seeing what I was going to bury my head into for the next few days. It was all I did when the storefronts was doing good and money was right. I used the downtime to read and learn to make myself better.

I picked up Charlamagne Tha God 'Black privilege' along with 'Shook Ones' tucking it under my arm before skimming down the aisle for one more book and bumped into her causing all of our books to fall on the ground.

"I'm sorry, I should've been looking. I'm just in a rush looking for a book and--" she started rambling, but I was caught in her beauty.

She stood at what seemed like a solid five foot six, her skin looked super soft and the lights complimented her bronze skin.

I kneeled down, picking up her books, taking a glance at her books. Stuck and Climb by Tanon and Memories Faded by Alisha Anima. She really had some taste with those selections since I read them all.

"I men you got some good reads already," I said, handing her books back to her.

"Oh really? How do you know that?" she asked as she glanced at me, her eyes practically smiling on its own.

At the moment, we spent the next three hours talking about books, sneaking in small comments about ourselves as well. Mila is well rounded and down to earth and smart. I just became interested in her and that barely happens with me and women.

"So why Chance in Alisha Anima's story?" she asked as she slid her nails across the back of the book reading the synopsis.

I sighed running my fingers through my beard.

"Chance went through some rough shit, losing a child, prison, and his wife resenting him for it. I'm not going to spoil it and all but he's very attentive. I can say the same thing for myself without the drama," I explained.

She smiled, tucking her hair behind her ear as I saw her dimple that just caught my eye. She is super beautiful.

"What about in these two stories by Tanon?"