Chapter 26

*18 Months Later*

"I really appreciate the ride," Macy said sheepishly. "I've never really been good with keeping up on car maintenance."

Opie chuckled a little, "Yeah, I know. You gonna be good without the car till tomorrow?"

Macy nodded, "I'm off the next two days."

"You need anything, you know uh, just let me know, or Jax, or whoever."

"I will, thanks," she said again. "Can I get you something before you head back?" The question was innocent but she knew deep down she didn't want him to run right back to the clubhouse.

"Sure," he shrugged casually.

Opie looked around the living room, it wasn't what he'd expect but Macy wasn't the girl he knew anymore. He noted the pictures of Macy and Shane from their wedding still hung on the walls along with pictures of them with their son, Shane Clarence Walsh. He figured by now Macy would have put certain things away but Shane's face was everywhere and her weddings rings had yet to leave her finger.

"I was kind of surprised you went with Shane for the kid," Opie commented randomly. "Seems kinda arrogant."

Macy looked at him, surprised he'd be so bold in his stupidity, and shook her head. "Really? He's only been gone a year and you're really pulling that shit?"

"No," he said quickly. "I just," he sighed. "It was a joke," Opie uttered awkwardly. "Me and Jax, we used to joke about it before Abel was born. Sorry, Mace."

It was true and Macy believe him mostly because she wanted to. Opie did find Shane to be painfully arrogant at times but he didn't mean it to be as cruel as it sounded.

"It's fine," she shrugged. "I know people think it's odd, all this," Macy gestured to the photos. "All I wanted was a normal, happy family."

"What's normal?" Opie shrugged, trying to sound supportive.

"Maybe growing up with both your parents and definitely not surrounded by criminal activity and violence?"

"We turned out okay," he told her, slightly defensive.

Macy scrunched up her nose. "Did we? You're a mess, Ope, let's be real and I still have photos up featuring a man who abandoned his family." Glancing down at her wedding rings, Macy felt the urge to cry growing stronger. "Why do you assholes always leave? What's wrong with me? What's wrong with my son?"

Hanging his head, Opie rolled the hem of his shirt nervously between his fingers. "It's not you, trust me. Shitty guys don't know what to do with someone like you so we run when things get real or real tough."

Nodding, Macy huffed. "Now I need a fucking drink. You sure you don't want anything?" She asked, escaping into the kitchen.

"Guess I'll take a beer," he shrugged, following her through the house. "When's Beach dropping off the kid?"

"Around dinner," Macy sniffled. "Guess it was a good day to leave him at the county employee daycare, huh?"

"Just don't let Gem find out," Opie joked, gratefully taking the beer she offered him.

"Yeah, Mom of the Year really disapproves of daycare," Macy scoffed.

"I know Gem is tough," Opie sighed, "But she does love you."

"Oh I have no doubt she loves me, it's the like part I doubt."

"Why?"

"I've done a lot of growing up since I left Charming. I can see how fucking bitter she is, I can see how she resents me. I swear if she was able to find out I was a girl before I was born, she would have aborted me."